Thread: Anyone surviving on a teachers salary?

Default Anyone surviving on a teachers salary?

We are planning to move back to NZ next year (me, hubby and our 3 daughters). Our plan is for me to be the sole earner (while American hubby apples for visas etc). My salary will be about 68k per year. Any families out there surviving on a similar salary who have bought their own home? If so, how are you managing financially? I guess I am looking for reassurance that we won't go hungry!

Thanks,
    Amy.

Quote Originally Posted by auskiwi View Post
    Any families out there surviving on a similar salary who have bought their own home? If so, how are you managing financially? I guess I am looking for reassurance that we won't go hungry!

Thanks,
    Amy.
    When you say bought their own home? Do you mean bought outright i.e. no need for a mortgage, or with a mortgage? If with a mortgage, how much?

Also, what area are you thinking of moving back to?

Ian

Having been on the forum a while you may already have come across the "Cost of living Afternoon' thread but just in case you haven't:

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16780

I'm sure some people will come along soon with some answers but until then it has lots of useful info and links.

Cheers

Tia

Thanks for the link, Tia. When I say, 'bought a house' I unfortunately mean with a mortgage!

Amy.

Hello

You can look here:
    http://www.enz.org/cost-of-living-in-new-zealand.HTML

it is a cost of living calculator. You have to fill in some figures ands than the claculator tell's you how mutch you need to earn in a year's time.

goog luck!

Hello.

Thanks for the link karolineke, that's really useful and looks like we'll be ok

Would be interesting to hear from anybody already there to see if they think the suggested costs in this 'calculator' are reasonably accurate....?

My family is surviving on one teacher's pay (70s) currently and we have a house mortgage which is quite substantial really.

We wouldn't be able to survive on just that alone. Fortunately for us, we are financially stable as we have 2 properties on rental which is generating further income for us and we are the type of people who are prudent with our money.

Still I would like to sell off one property to significantly reduce the loan. And I have plans to work part-time to supplement some income as well.

I don't think it would be easy to live off one pay alone and have 3 kids to feed.....unless you have a substantially large deposit to place on buying a house.