Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Degree from UK but studied in home country. Need assessment?

Default Degree from UK but studied in home country. Need assessment?

I wonder if anyone is in this same situation.

I studied my degree course in a Malaysian private college, but the degree is issued by a UK university. The lingo used is a 3+0 programme (study locally but obtain a foreign degree).

Course structure and content is the same - and the degree/transcript is issued by the UK university itself with no indication that I studied in Malaysia.

Now, that UK uni is listed under the exemption list, but if you notice the notice after the first table, it reads:
    If the courses leading to the award of one the qualifications above were taken outside of the United Kingdom, please refer to the NZQA for assessment.
    Does my situation above fit the description? Would I need a full assessment from NZQA?

I randomly polled a few other countries' list (Australia & US specifically) and they didn't have this special note. Why single out UK universities? The way I see it - NZ$800 (factoring in courier fees) is a STEEP price to pay to validate a degree which is equivalent to what I would get if I studied in UK.

So I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this situation themselves and what they did about it.

Thanks!

Happy Lunar New Year to all who are celebrating!

The wording seems pretty clear to me. I had to get assessed as I had a MEng, and not a BEng or MSc both of which would have been fine from the named university, so they are pretty strict on the interpretation. Emailing NZIS and asking will get you the definitive answer.

As for why the UK list has the exemption but others don't, I don't know. I wonder if it could be to do with the way that the system works in other countries (ie can you get degrees issued without local study, and if so do those unis appear on the exempt list)?

I had a degree from one of the exempt uni's but just because I'm an Early Childhood Teacher I had to get mine assessed. They are quite strict on making sure you have the right qualifications so if that's what I says I would say you need it assessed. Like Duncan said emailing the NZQA would give you a definite answer, I found them very helpful ad informative when I had questions.

Yes $800 is a lot of money but it is actually only a fraction of the whole immigration costs. And really if that $800 gets you where you want to be then surely it's all worth it and a small price to pay.

Minor point, but I'd check with NZIS as it's their exempt list, albeit one actually prepared by NZQA.

Thanks duncan and margarita (I could use one right now)! I'll check with NZIS and post back what they replied.

Hi zemien,

I suppose by now NZIS has already replied to your query? Can you post it here please

My qualification is in the "Exempt from Assessment" list. But I haven't checked yet if I still need to submit it to NZQA for assessment.

But why would it need to be assessed, as it's on the 'List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment'? In Margaritta's case it wasn't the degree that was needed I don't think, it was more that she needed her teaching skills / experience assessed for the registration, and that just so happened to include the degree as part of the evidence. For a simple points score for a degree, etc, then the LoQEA is precisely that.

fye: Mine was a special case - it stated quite clearly that I needed an assessment for my UK degree if my studies were done outside the UK. And NZIS confirmed it.

If you do not see such a clause that will apply to you, you can safely consider it as exempt. You should always email them to confirm, if you have any doubts.

Thanks for the input, zemien. I think I've got that covered. Now I'm trying to get my university to issue a letter to certify that my courses were taught in English.

Anyway, thanks!

OK, if the process to get that letter is cumbersome, you may consider just taking the IELTS exam. Take into account that regardless of the uni's letter, they can compel you to show an IELTS test result form when you apply for residency later.

Check out the SMC EOI online form. It's stated quite clearly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast