Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Standard of living in NZ vs UK

Default Standard of living in NZ vs UK

Hi,

My husband and I are looking to move to Nelson next year. He is a maths teacher in a secondary school, and I am a doctor (GP). We have no kids, or intentions

We have read loads of really mixed reports about the cost of living in NZ - some people have said they're much worse off than they were in the UK, but others say they have a reasonably similar standard of living, with some things being more expensive but others much cheaper to balance things out. We've found all the info quite hard to pick through, as obviously people who are posting have a wide variety of occupations/incomes and are coming from different places.

Can anyone in a similar position to us share their experiences?

Thanks, Gem.

This is a really subjective issue and hard to answer. I think we are financially worse off in Auckland than we would be in the UK. But some of that is the cost of moving. As a GP your income will be much higher than average.

I've done a bit of searching for average NZ salaries/household incomes but haven't found much of use- need someone with the knowledge for that. The figure that springs to mind is 25K outside of Auckland and 45K in Auckland. There is no way we could live on that. I think food and household bills are expensive too. I believe average house prices are something like 9x average incomes, which is worse than the UK.

But before I get eaten alive.... There is a difference between income and quality of life and I am only commenting on one.

Thumbs up Better

Hi Gem
    I have come to NZ from the NHS and can say my standard of living is much better here.
    My work is much less stressful (mental health nurse) and I now have a good work/life balance.
    Despite being a single parent I am able to enjoy my time off far more than in the UK, largely due to the cost of living being lower. This is with my current job being at a lower grade than my NHS posts (my brain is so enjoying the rest ).
    From my perspective I can happily say that after many years in the NHS I am now in the position of having both the energy and the money to enjoy my time off.
    I guess it also depends on how 'lavish' a lifestyle you are looking for and also the location in NZ you elect to move to.
    Hope that helps.

It's very hard to answer you're question in a way that will apply to you and you're going to find every answer is different.

I myself am in a very lucky position. I'm single going to NZ on my own so my wage only has to cover me and my cost of living. I'm also leaving behind an un respected minimum wage job where I barely hit a double figure (1000 that is) salary and couldn't even afforded to leave home because there was just no way I could cover rent in the area let alone bills. I spent my whole time hearing parents moan about their "high cost of childcare" wondering if they realised just how little was passed on to the staff. but then that's a rant for another day.

Although I'll be doing the same job in New Zealand, the respect an Early Childhood Teacher get's far surpasses that of the UK and there for the pay is much greater. Ok I may still never be able to buy a house on my own but it's going to be a fantastic feeling to pay my rent, bills, food ext go shopping, have a social life and still have some money to put away in the savings account at the end of it.

Like I said my situation is probably quite different to most and when you're used to living on very little moving anywhere and gaining more is always going to feel great. Everyone's needs and wants are different. I've heard people on here say they spend $1000 a month on food yet others only spend $600, it's a difference in taste and what you want to buy.

All I can suggest is really look at your life, what you have and what you wouldn't be able to live without or compromise on. Only then with a little research will you be able to work out if you can afforded to live in NZ and still have the lifestyle YOU want.

OP: I'm sure I've read parts of a blog by someone here who's recently entered NZ as a teacher and found work. I can't remember who, but hopefully they'll see this thread soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Margarita View Post
    I'm also leaving behind an un respected minimum wage job where I barely hit a double figure (1000 that is) salary and couldn't even afforded to leave home because there was just no way I could cover rent in the area let alone bills. I spent my whole time hearing parents moan about their "high cost of childcare" wondering if they realised just how little was passed on to the staff. but then that's a rant for another day.
    At the risk of hijacking the thread, yes, some parents do I couldn't believe it when a nursery I'd been to see - fairly pricey fees, imho - advertised for a "baby unit manager" shortly afterwards. The annual salary for a 40+ hour week was ridiculously low, considering the fact that they'd be responsible for staff and a goodly number of very young children.

We ended up picking a childminder - at least that way I know all the money is going to the person who cares for my child.. (and we just preferred her way of working with children to any of the nurseries' - it's all personal choice at the end of the day!)

I have found that NZ financially works out much better for me (single person, no dependents other than a cat). Even though the salary is slightly less than I used to get, I now actually have money left to spend at the end of the month. I live in a house that in the UK I could never even have dreamt of living in. I have to add though that I don't own a car here, haven't needed one yet, so that may be the difference. One of the things that can be either very cheap or horrendously expensive is food. If you are used to preparing whatever is in season from scratch than it is cheaper. If on the other hand you like an easy curry from the microwave with some californian cherries in august, then you will be quite poor quite soon. Some things simply aren't made/grown locally and with the nearest significant landmass about 1200 miles away (and most of it much further) it can get dear when they have to be imported.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by gemmataylor View Post
    My husband and I are looking to move to Nelson next year. He is a maths teacher in a secondary school, and I am a doctor (GP). We have no kids, or intentions
    I like your style

GP and a secondary teacher with no kids? You'll be sweet. The cost of living is slightly higher, imho, but the 'lifestyle' more than compensates. Also, I've a suspicion that the cost of living gap between UK and NZ closes the better off you are. This is a great country to be reasonable well off in (which you will) and a GP and Maths secondary teacher can afford to be very picky location wise too

Where you thinking of heading and do you have any equity to sink into a home?

Thanks for all the replies guys

Kanga, we're looking at the Nelson area at the moment, but we're worried that we won't both be able to find jobs there. We will have some savings to bring with us as a decent deposit, as we understand this makes a huge difference?

Good to hear that as a professional couple (with no money-draining kids ) we'll be able to have enough spare money to enjoy ourselves, and a more relaxed place to do it.

Any more info gratefully received!

Gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    I like your style
    The cost of living is slightly higher, imho, but the 'lifestyle' more than compensates.
    Ohh could you please tell that to the UK Student Loans company, they don't believe me. They appear to think that the cost of living is so much cheaper in NZ that I can affored to start paying it back 3000 Pounds earlyer. Works out I start paying back way below NZ minimum wage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    I like your style

GP and a secondary teacher with no kids? You'll be sweet. The cost of living is slightly higher, imho, but the 'lifestyle' more than compensates. Also, I've a suspicion that the cost of living gap between UK and NZ closes the better off you are. This is a great country to be reasonable well off in (which you will) and a GP and Maths secondary teacher can afford to be very picky location wise too

Where you thinking of heading and do you have any equity to sink into a home?
    I have found what Kanga has posted is exactly right.

I have found that we have a very good quality of life here and with the weather the way it is here and outdoor opportunities much easier and motivating to be active outside of work.

Where I have come from has a higher cost economy than the UK and our living costs are 25% less than Ireland and with a more active and fulfilling lifestyle.

David
    Last edited by Gnomon; 18th February 2010 at 01:39 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast