Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nelson - any negatives?!

Default Nelson - any negatives?!

Hi,

My husband and I are looking at moving to Nelson next year. So far, we haven't found anyone with anything negative to say about the place, apart from that house prices are a little high, so we were looking for anyone who had anything bad to say about it?

Specific questions we had:

1) I'm a complete arachnophobe, and not hugely keen on other insects, are there lots of scary spiders in your house?

2) After watching/reading some things on NZ gangs, we're a tad worried about the Mongrel Mob and other terrifying gangs, is this a big problem in Nelson?

Thanks, Gem.

The biggest negative is the cost of living. I personally think that there is much to do about nothing concerning NZ Gangs. I'm not discounting crime, especially up in the Northland, but that is drug related, but having seen what the Crips & Bloods are like firsthand in SoCal in the US, NZ gangs are a social group more than anything else.

With that said, I wouldn't wouldn't walk into a group of them alone and pull out my sidearm either but really, you won't have to worry about anything.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gemmataylor View Post

1) I'm a complete arachnophobe, and not hugely keen on other insects, are there lots of scary spiders in your house?

Thanks, Gem.
    Oh Gem
    They do have nasty critters and not just those with 8 legs.
    They have revolting things called wetas which despite my best intention...my sons cat still brings the odd one in and spits it on the floor. Uuuhg.
    On the plus side...we now have raid auto dispensers in the house to kill ANY bigs and the house itself is sprayed yearly.
    As such we now live here relatively bug free after spending our first 3 months screaming at all the bugs.
    I'm sure others will not advocate the killing of the native bugs but then the white tail is hardly a true native ...but I just cant abide bugs n critters n all things creep crawly.

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    Oh Gem
    They do have nasty critters and not just those with 8 legs.
    They have revolting things called wetas which despite my best intention...my sons cat still brings the odd one in and spits it on the floor. Uuuhg.
    On the plus side...we now have raid auto dispensers in the house to kill ANY bigs and the house itself is sprayed yearly.
    As such we now live here relatively bug free after spending our first 3 months screaming at all the bugs.
    Thanks for the warning! We were hoping our cats would keep the evil things under control but it sounds like they might just add to the problem
    We'll take your advice and get our place sprayed and bug-proofed as soon as we arrive. How big are we talking in terms of spiders in Nelson, and how likely am I to come across them?

Thumbs up Ugly bugly things

Gem
    The things I have seen and run away from have not so much been large as just downright ugly. Like, I know we need spiders (or so Im told) but I cant figure out why the need to be so damned ugly.
    For me Im more wary of the white tail. You will hear varying accounts on whether the spider bite is harmful or not.
    If you get your house treated you will not see them very often, if at all. And thats coming from a fellow critterphobe.
    Being honest the worst this is getting the cats to realise that all these fun new 'toys' and 'gifts' they find ion the garden really do need to stay in the garden.

I seem to remember sandflies are a bit of a problem. They bite and it itches like mozzie bites. There aren't plagues of them but they are around more in Nelson than in other cities and can be a pest when camping or having a barbie - maybe a Nelson resident could add a bit more on this point.

There aren't really any gang problems to worry about on the South Island - it's more a North Island thing (see the gangs ENZ thread in 'locations').

Whitetails are everywhere now in NZ but really aren't anything to be concerned about. We have whitetails every week in the house (in Australia) and don't get bitten. Even then, the bite is a non-event unless in the rare event that you are allergic.

Haven't had a problem with sandflies in Nelson but we live up on the hillside, they may be more of a problem lower down (eg the brook area). Spiders - I can give you a phone number! We had our house sprayed a few weeks ago and haven't seen any since. Before then, I guesstimate I came across 4 in 8 months, none bigger than 2cm diameter (including legs) - one possibly a white tail but I squashed it befire anyone could clarify. I hate them too (one of the main reasons for NZ over Oz!)

Nelson negatives - on the whole, none. The population doubles over the summer, there's more traffic on the roads than I'd like and it did get extremely hot (for me anyway) over the last month or so. Price of housing is supposed to be higher here than elsewhere - from your other thread (decent salary, good deposit & no kids) I'd say that would be less of an issue for you. Depends on where you want to live of course, and how large a house!

Oh and re: gangs - no Mongrel Mob here that I am aware. Haven't really seen any gang activity at all, which was a lovely change from Bristol!

Hi Gem

Like Katieben we have little trouble with sandflies as we live on a hillside, (although we do seem to have a lot of mosquitos in our garden). My wife was visiting someone in The Brook (down by one of the rivers) and they had a lot more sandflies. We came from Scotland to NZ and I personally find midges much worse than sandflies.

I have seen one whitetail on the outside of a windowsill (which I squashed) in the 8 months we have been here. Other spiders that you see are mainly "daddy longlegs" type which we also had in the UK or small. I haven't actually seen a weta since we have lived in Nelson, although I quite like them (although a bit spiky looking, they are harmless).

We have had our house sprayed as well - although this was to deal with the borer (=woodworm) it has the side effect of getting rid of any other insect life for a couple of months. Not terribly expensive - I think about NZ$240 for our 430m2 house. I don't think I have seem as many spiders in this house as we had in our scottish flat (both old properties).

Not much in the way of gangs that I have seen. Little crime in general. Our house had 2 doors that did not lock and for which there were no keys when we moved in and many people leave their bikes unlocked in the town centre (not that I would).

I don't have many negatives about Nelson. If you accept that you are moving to an area with a relatively small population and realise that therefore the cultural and shopping opportunities are consequently somewhat limited (although a bit better I think than for many places of the same size in NZ). Property prices are higher than some areas but better than most of the UK. We moved from Glasgow which was the thirty-somethingth most expensive city in the UK and house prices here seem less to me.

Thomas

Negatives for me are:-

Air travel from here relatively expensive compared to the bigger cities. Air NZ have the monopoly and can therefore charge what they want although you do get reasonable deals if you book early. It just means you need to plan a little in advance unless money is no problem.

You can feel a little cut off occasionally, especially when you've been here a while. I miss the theatre and although we get a few small shows here we currently have no decent theatre. It means a trip to one of the 'big smoke' locations which again get get expensive when you factor in travel cost/time and accommodation.

If you're a big shopper you'll miss the variety of shops. I'm not a huge shopping fan but even so occasionally wish I was closer to a bigger centre for the occasional clothes shopping splurge.(not that anyone cares what you look like here)

To summarise then, probably the remoteness from other places but the positives far outweigh that and I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be. I would say that it helps if you like the outdoor life though and it wouldn't suit everyone.

Can't say sandflies are a problem in Nelson or out here where I live and we have a creek running through our property. In nearly three years I've seen 2 whitetails so not bad and other spiders have not been of a size to bother me (even the one on the beach yesterday that somehow ended up on my neck) Just don't look up Nelson cave spider on the net.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast