Thread: Working as a GP in NZ

Default Working as a GP in NZ

Hi,

I am a GP, looking to move to Nelson. Can any other doctors (especially GPs) give me an idea of the differences between working in the NHS and working in NZ? Specifically:

1) What are the typical working hours?
    2) Is it possible to do no out-of-hours work, as is the case here in the UK?
    3) Will I have a similar standard of living as I do here/ what is the typical salary?
    4) Is it true that appointment times are generally 15 mins rather than 10?
    5) How have you found the charging-for-appointments system affects the amount/type of consultations you have?

Thanks, Gem

Not sure that there are many GPs on this forum, have you tried asking those questions in the "Working in Oz/Nz" board on doctors.net?

I found a lot of useful info there when I was looking at coming over (hospital doc so no answers to your specific situation). My GP is covered by an out of hours service so I would imagine they do no on call. Working hours & salary - no clue but will ask someone.

Smile Thank you!

Thank you so so much for all of your replies! I just went to the doctors.net NZ forum (which I hadn't heard about before, thanks for the tip) and found that you'd already posted my question and that someone had already replied, you're an absolute star

You could look into NZ Locums, as well. They will be more then happy to help you and they are a none profit organization.

Default Out of Hours

Gem
    Check with nelson PHO about the contracts they have with GP's. In my area and many others there is a rotaional After Hours surgery that is open every day. Hence on practice will cover a wide area. The hours offered do vary but can say they can get rather busy. Also they tend to be like mini ED's and you can be directed to After Hours by ED even for issues that require IVI and minor suturing. Sliiping my nursing quals in the draw quickly...as a parent the After Hours has been a godsend as the wait time is greatly reduced to ED in NZ and totally unlike any in the NHS. As in my son was down the surgery 10mins after I called and 10 mins later had IVI running. Pretty neat I thought. Qulaified practitioner talking now... its basically a way to cut out the wait at ED if you can afford the fees hence its rather two tier in that respect, but the decision to see anyone in After Hours is made by the GP after completeing a telephone triage.
    Also check what their situation is in relation to Police Surgeon duties. My area has one GP who is the dedicated PS but when she is off on hols, another from the practice covers.
    Hope this isnt putting you off but the PHO contract is very different to the NHS ones as regards to after hours working.
    Sue