Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Career Change - From I.T (Compters etc.) to what?

Default Career Change - From I.T (Compters etc.) to what?

Just wondering if anyone has made ths hift away from I.T to another career here in New Zealand? How easy was it what did you find hard and do you regret it? After years of dealing with computers, serveras etc..what do you do when you have had enough? Seen it all now right down to saying "Helps if you turn the computer on" etc.

I wanted to do the same as well! At a grand age of 32 I found it financially difficult though, and I haven't even got a mortgage (yet). Looks like IT will be here to stay in my life until I win the Lotto (coming soon, I'm sure ).

lol.....Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 35 this year and have been involved with the things since i was around 12....say it is not so.

When I arrived here, I really wanted to work at the library. I didn't care if I was shelving books, but I couldn't even get an interview. I really want to leave IT / Design / Media, but it keeps sucking me back in.

I am also in the early 30's demographic.

Hello,

As the IT market is very competitive, I am starting to change my career. I submit my request to the Electrical Worker Registration Board to assess my qualification towards gaining provisional or practitioner license.

With this market you can do a lot of contracts (Electrical, Alarm, Audio/Visual ... etc).

Cheers.

Wow... And I thought I was the only one... who wanted to downgrade/sidegrade away from IT. I'm just fed up with computers. Too much stress. What career fields are in high demand OTHER than IT in NZ? My only other skills consist of playing with kids, helping with youth group, and teaching spanish/english.
    =randomly sings: I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay.. I sleep all night, and I work all day!=

i am a former it professional (moved into it after getting fed up with poor pay and long hours in horticulture) and have retrained as an electrician here in nz

we are all different but i love it

the money is poor compared to it but excellent compared to horticulture... so a happy medium i guess

to me its just like playing all day really... i have a van load of tools and gadgets and I get to drive around the countryside helping people out

i get a real sense of achievement and satisfaction everyday

no more struggling to get out of bed and not looking forward to the week ahead on a sunday evening

i never know what each day will bring and i am learning everyday

add to that that the average age of electricans in nz is getting higher not lower and is up in the 50s today and you have some compelling reasons to look hard at it as a career even when you are not a spring chicken

i am 36 and doing the apprenticehip here was financially painful but thats only because of what i had been used to... if you have nothing somethigns good - you have to look at the bigger picture really

i wish i had done it years ago!

Hi broadsword08, can you share your experience and challenges into this career change, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AliIsmailNZ View Post
    Hi broadsword08, can you share your experience and challenges into this career change, thanks.
    thought i had done really - if you have a specific question i'll try to answer it...

@ Hackswell - you could always ".... wear women's clothing, just like your dear mama"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast