Thread: Leasing a car in NZ

Default Leasing a car in NZ

Hi everyone
    Does anyone have any advice on leasing a car in NZ? I've been fortunate enough never to have had to buy a car (shared with sister, shared with best friend), but as I'm now on my own in NZ and need car I'm going to have to do it myself! I've had lots of direction towards Trade Me but I'm afraid of paying out for a lemon. If I lease a car could I be more assured that I won't be driving it into the garage the week with a hefty bill for a new gearbox, fanbelt etc...? Is leasing a car the preserve of the wealthy people? (I'm not one of them). I would appreciate any advice: I'm dreading this task, I have no affection for cars, I just want one that goes from A to B reliably.
    Thanks!
    Bridget

By leasing do you mean long term rental, or some kind of hire purchase idea?

I would guess a reasonable rate for renting the cheaper end would be around $300 a week, possibly less (we paid $35/day on our recce trip). Buying an older but still reasonable car will probably cost something like $400/month (allowing for savng up for wof, rego, services, repairs etc).

The AA will do a pre purchase inspection report if you buy from trademe (enough are advertised with one that you should be able to find something suitable).

I'm dreading this task, I have no affection for cars, I just want one that goes from A to B reliably.
    Lots of people feel like this initially. You'd do well to ask around friends, neighbours and colleagues for recommendations of a good local garage for servicing and any repairs - somewhere that won't charge you the earth or say you need work that you don't. A local craftsman is often better on this score than a main dealer (though if the dealer has a good workshop foreman, they can be a good bet, too). Once you get to know your garage people, they can advise you, so you understand more what is going on - you'll treat the car better, so it will serve you better, and nobody can blind you with science.

Quote Originally Posted by constablechuck View Post
    I agree with what was said about the Honda Jazz, I recently leased a new one for my wife to do her shopping and take the kids places, it's a small car with big features, the inside is set up to give maximum room for both people and storage. A full maintenance 45 month 60,000 km lease is $482 per month. The Lease also includes free Roadside assistance, Towing etc..The only thing I have to do is put in the fuel and pay insurance, which is $40 per month through Honda.
    This is quoted from another thread. I'd call it very expensive but it does give peace of mind and predictable costs.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey View Post
    I've had lots of direction towards Trade Me but I'm afraid of paying out for a lemon. If I lease a car could I be more assured that I won't be driving it into the garage the week with a hefty bill for a new gearbox, fanbelt etc...?
    Just in case you aren't aware, buying cars from a trader whether second-hand or not are also covered by the Consumer Guarantees act so if you are sold a lemon then you may be able to recover your money.

Also, most cars seem to be sold with a warranty for those expensive bills such as gearbox so you could certainly check that there is a warranty included.

Ian

Yes, if you want peace of mind then a full maintenance lease is the way to go. If you consider the better fuel efficiency of new cars, not having to pay for Rego, WOF, regular maintenance or unexpected repairs, plus interest costs if you finance, then it's not all that expensive.

I did my homework before leasing the Honda Jazz, I checked out the Toyota Yaris, I also went to Hyundai and Suzuki, no one could offer a full maintenance Lease for under $500 except Honda. And the Honda Jazz has all the safety features, performance, fuel economy and other features we wanted.

I bought the Jazz mostly as a runabout for the wife and kids. I've got an old '93 Toyota Corolla Diesel with nearly 300,000 kms that I use to commute to work. I only paid $1600 for it and it's been cheap to maintain, just basics like oil changes and brake pads for WOF etc..., so that car may go for another 100,000 kms of cheap transportation or the motor or tranny could go at any time, it's a gamble.
    Last edited by constablechuck; 19th February 2010 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone! I will look into AA inspections, warranties, full-maintenence leases and will consider good-runners with lots of mileage!
    Bridget

One more question about the Jazz. Constable Chuck, you said your wife uses it for a runabout and you have another car so this is my question: how would you feel about driving the Jazz on long journeys? As it's just me and I would like to travel around NZ on weekends I could be driving 2+ hours to go exploring. What do you think? I think for my commute (Cambridge-Hamilton) it would be ideal but I justed wanted to know what you thought of the Jazz for weekend trips away. I got a quote for a Yaris lease as well and as you've said, the Jazz is cheaper!
    Thanks!
    Bridget

I forgot to mention that our Jazz is an auto which costs more, you can probably lease a manual for $20 or $30 less each month.

The Jazz is nice on trips, we live in a rural area and going to the city is 1 + 1/2 hours round trip. There's plenty of room for the whole family 2 adults and 2 kids. Even though it's only 1300cc, it's the ViTec engine and has plenty of power to travel comfortably on the highway.

The only thing that may be a concern is on a lease you have limited kms, i.e. our lease is 45 months / 63000 kms. If you go over that it costs 15 cents per km. So if your doing a lot of travelling a lease may not be for you.
    Last edited by constablechuck; 28th February 2010 at 10:09 AM.

Thanks for that, I got an online quote for $441pm, 24months/30,000km, full service/roadside assistance, registration for manual transmission Jazz. I might just go for it!