Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hastings

Default Hastings

There hasn't been a new thread about Hastings since 2008 so I wondered if people could tell me everything they know, good or bad, about it!

I fancy it as a quiet, warm, dry place to live with that whole farming feel, somewhere we could buy a lifestyle property with a few acres to keep horses and chickens.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Your fancies are spot on. Coming from a rural background I much prefer Hastings. Plus being a little further inland than Napier and not being surrounded by water, the dryer atmosphere is healthier if you have arthritis and the like.
    Lifestyles close to the city are becoming fairly hard to get, plus more expensive for obvious reasons, but there is a good choice a few miles out. The problem these days in the rural areas is schooling, some have closed due to lack of pupils, but there usually is a school bus available to get to other schools.
    Then there is the question of shopping, if you don't mind driving, it won't be a problem.

Thanks Fern, I was beginning to think noone lived in Hastings from the lack of responses!

When you say it is further inland than Napier, how far is it to the coast?

With regards to schools, we dont plan on having children so that isnt an issue.

When you say lifestyles closer to the city are hard to get, how far out are we talking time-wise for the commute for the ones further out?

It's only about 7k inland but enough to make a difference. The way I see it, living in Hastings we have the best of both worlds, (Napier city being only 20 mins. away.)
    Maraekakaho, which is West of the city, is about 15-20mins out, then you have the other surrounding areas so you're looking at anything between 30 minutes plus. The farther out the property, the cheaper the price.
    Anyone looking for a property at this time, has a buyers market.

So it would be easy to live in Hastings and work there or Napier then, hmm interesting! That opens the options up with regards to finding a job.

Is Hastings a city then or a large town?

Thanks JandM but Ive done all my research on the internet. I want to know what people who actually live there think of it

I'm sure anyone living in the area will be glad to help. (Don't know that their opinion will make it change from a city to a town, though...)

Hastings district has a population of 74.300, June 2009. The city area just over 50.000.

I know its officially a city but it doesnt seem like your typical city, you dont get agricultural cities in the UK! If a city is defined by it's population then fine, but does it feel like a city? I mean with regards to the centre, is it mega busy, traffic, big shopping centres, lots of businesses?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast