Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extra Luggage

Default Extra Luggage

I never imagined how emotionally attached I'd get to clothes. I have two suitcases packed and ready to go. But still feel like I need a third. I have sent 10 bags of clothes to Good Will. So I am being selective. But I don't feel like I packed warm things or some practical things (like sneakers). I packed enough pants for 5 days of work and a few pairs of jeans for the rest of life. Other than that I said my goodbyes to my favorite summer skirts and other favorite outfits.

I am taking two different airlines and the total cost for one extra bag will be $200. That extra luggage will make a difference in packing a few extra warm sweaters and a pair of sneakers and a few odds and ends like maybe a towel and bed linens. Do people think it's worth it. Or are clothes and linens relatively inexpensive? I did not pack a winter jacket. My friend made the point that a winter jacket alone could run more than $150.

What are peoples thoughts?

Hi,
    have you costed getting them shipped? International shippers can do single boxes fairly inexpensively, it takes longer but you could plan for this, i.e. if you know that you will be landing in winter, then pack your warm stuff in your luggage and send all your suumer stuff over. You can usually ship without a forwarding address, so long as you advise them of it when you get it - so if you leave sending your stuff till the last minute(ish), you should be able to get there well ahead of it (it takes around 12 weeks, usually) and inform shippers of delivery address when you get a rental, or whatever. Hope this helps, I wouldn't get rid of stuff you love, or decent quality stuff as it can be dear to replace over there. It would be better to send it over than have to lug it all around the airport when you're changing planes, too.

Hope this helps.

I echo Nikki. We're planning to send a parcel full of clothes by post (for us the post service is cheaper than shippers and we don't mind the 2 week waiting time). We're luckily able to send them to a friend's address, so not yet having a postal address isn't a problem for us.

Quote Originally Posted by impossiblejane View Post
    I never imagined how emotionally attached I'd get to clothes.
    Hey there,

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I ended up purging clothes several times before I had everything packed. Even now, I have some remorse giving away many of the articles of clothing to Good Will. Oh well. I found rolling up our clothes VERY tightly gave us more space in our bags. We ended up packing 4 extra bags, costing us $320 USD. In my opinion, it was worth it. We were able to have all of our belongings with us and not have to worry about shipping anything. Yes, it was cumbersome at times lugging around our 8 large bags and carry on stuff, but we managed to find very helpful people to help us shlep all of it (in the airport, to the hotel, etc). When we got to Auckland, we found a storage place to store our belongings for a bit until we got our bearings. We purchased a vehicle (a station wagon) so hauling everything was a breeze after that.

I strongly recommend to pack suits, sneakers, bras, panties, warm sweaters and coats (heavy and light). We managed to stuff ALL of our warm stuff and sneakers, suits, in our luggage and glad we did. Good quality things here like sneakers, bras, and the like will cost you in the hundreds. Bring all of your NICE and good quality things. Anything that is torn or has any kind of defect, chuck it out.

Linens. We lucked out completely with that. We did not take anything but a couple of fleece blankets and a beach towel. LOL But we found NICE stuff, like 1000 thread count sheets, at KMart for dirt cheap. Guess we got lucky.

I would opt for paying the extra fees, for the sake of peace of mind alone.

Hope this helps.

Yes, good quality clothes and shoes you're fond of are worth bringing/sending.

Those are good tips. I have tomorrow to decide on one extra bag. I think I might. I have so many nice sweaters that I wear to work and would be really bummed to not have them. Not only does it suck to be cold but it sucks to have remorse about some articles of clothing. And getting rid of some hasn't been too hard while other things are so incredibly hard.

I've been doing the role up tip that was suggested as well. That has helped. I managed to fit 9 pairs of pants in a small space.

Someone is not happy about the departure....He's staying home. With his papa.

check with the airline rules first but we carried our winter coats with our carry on luggage as we were permitted to carry a coat or blanket in addition to the normal carry on luggage (we also carried a small fold up holdall bag to stuff them in when we didn't need them so that it was a bit easier than carrying 3 coats)

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterby View Post
    check with the airline rules first but we carried our winter coats with our carry on luggage as we were permitted to carry a coat or blanket in addition to the normal carry on luggage (we also carried a small fold up holdall bag to stuff them in when we didn't need them so that it was a bit easier than carrying 3 coats)
    LOL! That reminds me I ended wearing my winter coat (wool pea coat) on the airplane and it was the dead of summer (in the US, in LA mind you ) when we left. I just took it off when we got settled on the plane. And the coat became very handy when we arrived in Auckland because it was cold and rainy.

Good luck with the packing and what a sweet kitty.

He's going to sit firmly upon ALL your luggage so you can't POSSIBLY go... (Actually - that's a smile for the time being. He's looking very comfortable!)

Another option if it is bulk rather than weight that is the issue is to get vacuum bags for your clothes. You fill the bag with your folded clothes, seal it, and then hook it up to your vacuum cleaner. This pretty much halves the size of your clothing (but, unfortunately, does nothing for the weight)!

And also look carefully at your airline's baggage rules. Most, for example, allow you to carry a handbag, a thin laptop bag, an overcoat AND your carry on bag. It also makes sense to wear your bulkiest / heaviest clothing as you can always take it off if you are hot!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast