Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat flap solutions required

Default Cat flap solutions required

I need some way for my cats to be able to go in and out of the house without needing my assistance. Specifically without needing my assistance at 4am every morning, when they walk over my head mioawing until I give in and get up to open the door.

The thing is, there is no obvious place to put a cat flap. All the doors are aluminium joinery with double glazed glass in both panels. I also don't want to spoil the nicely insulated box we are in. I've tried leaving windows open, but this negates the effects of our fly screens and we had 13 mossies sitting on our bedroom ceiling within 3 days. Also, it will not work in Winter.

Is there any way to fit a well-insulated cat flap in double glazed glass?

Cat flaps can be fitted into double glazed windows and doors, but you will have to have a new glazing unit made that incorporates a cat flap - you can't just have holes cut into the glass (in doors one of the panes should be toughened glass, and you can't cut toughened glass - it will shatter, and you can't cut holes in a double glazed unit without ruining the seal). The best thing to do is to contact the manufacturer of your windows, and get them to make a new unit for you that incorporates a cat door. We'd have charged about $200 - $400 to do this in the lower unit of a standard sized back door.

A cat flap will be a breach in the insulation, but you're unlikely to notice a drop in temperature as a result, especially if you get a "weatherproof" cat flap, i.e. one that doesn't flap about in the wind and has a seal round the door. (Catmate do one.) The best place in your house to have one installed would be your back door, I think.
    Last edited by Jo Jo; 24th February 2010 at 06:41 PM. Reason: clarification

Failing that I refer you back to the rapidly moving leg method I've tried to suggest to you to rectify this problem ....

Thanks Joanna. Feeling slightly dizzy re the cost, but will start saving.

Kanga - he doesn't go near my legs, he repeatedly walks over my head whilst purring and miaowing. It's a highly effective method of waking someone up completely.

Does it have to be a door or window? We had friends in London who drilled a massive hole in their (brick, of course) outer kitchen wall, a bit like a tunnel! With the flap at the outside end.

Of course you've just built your house, so probably feel no inclination to put holes in your walls.

We are just looking at the same, but we have single glazing that is so weak that if you lean against it, it breaks, so no big loss there for us.

Daniela

Have booked a local glazier and they are coming on Friday to measure up. Think I would prefer a hole in one pane of glass to a whole wall Daniela, especially with all the yellow insulation padding hanging out and exposed gib board that it would entail...

Also consider one of the infrared coded cat flaps to prevent any other wildlife getting in. Doesn't stop the woldlife that's being delivered by your little hunters, but does stop oterh annimals getting in, pinching your moggies food and then all hell breaking out when your pets choose that moment for their daily 3 minutes break from sleeping.

We live so far from anywhere now that there are definitely no other cats, but would a possum try to get in? I doubt it actually.

We've had (in the UK) squirels in the past. And they are vicious little blighters, especially as you see them scoffing the xmas cake you've just made.

Blimey. Well according to every Kiwi I've ever met, possums are evil incarnate whose main aim in life is to scratch your eyes out on sight, so I'd better sort out the infra-red thingies or I may be blinded in my sleep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast