Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USA Caravan / Travel Trailer

Default USA Caravan / Travel Trailer

We are thinking about bringing our 26 foot caravan to NZ when we move from the USA next year. Has anyone else gone through this process? I've been quoted about $6000 usd to ship it, and the prices I've seen them sell for on Trade Me are outrageous!

Amy.

You go Auskiwi! We just sold our beloved 5th wheel this past fall. I wish we could have brought it with us. Like you, my husband and I think the prices for caravans in NZ are outrageous. I don't know how we'll afford one over there. I think you're smart to try. Keep me informed.

we wish we had brought ours for the reasons you stated.

something to think about however: what will you pull it with?

We had a F 350 dually in the US but those don't exist here. And the few actual trucks that could pull a large RV like this are $100,000

The price of motorhomes in New Zealand is outrageous, I would love to see a costing just to see how much profit they are all making. There is very little to them and the trucks they put them on, in most cases, are nothing spectacular.
    go for it.

I have been thinking along the same lines. I know quite a few Brits have done so. Would there be some restrictions on North american spec travel trailers (caravans)? I can see having to change all the appliances and other electrical works. Any thoughts?

The caravans here are small and have very little amenities inside. I mean the pull behind type caravan. (there are also motor homes--that come with an engine)

These smaller and lighter caravans are easy to pull with the smaller vehicles here.

Like I said before, the biggest problem would be finding a truck large enough to pull a big US type caravan. There are a few here (literally a "few") but the price is so high that when I do a cost analysis (of importing the US caravan) that it doesn't come out a good idea.

Also, pulling such a long set up might present problems on the smaller laned roads here (no highways like the US in the south island) but the large semi trailers do OK.

I am not positive about this but I don't think the electrical would be an issue unless you sold it. Our US caravan had a 240 plug for hooking up to power and then 110 inside. So you would just continue to use US appliances inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern01 View Post
    The price of motorhomes in New Zealand is outrageous, I would love to see a costing just to see how much profit they are all making. There is very little to them and the trucks they put them on, in most cases, are nothing spectacular.
    go for it.
    There is a considerable difference between the typical US caravan and the NZ version.

Our 30' US caravan was fully contained with a generator and water tanks. We had a full kitchen, bathroom with a bathtub and shower, washer and dryer, a large hot water "cylinder" a HUGE flatscreen TV, leather sofas etc etc.

They don't compare in any way to the VERY expensive and almost completely empty "caravans" that they sell here. I was very surprised to find that most of these don't have ANY facilities!!! They are like large rolling tents.

We can pull the caravan with a suburban (1500), as it isn't a terribly heavy one. We've thought about having the caravan to leave on a beach section somewhere too, as a holiday cabin! My hubby is pretty handy, so isn't afraid to tackle any electrical conversions that may be required (though he seems to think a transformer may work on most items in the caravan). I'll keep you posted on what we decide to do.

My biggest fear is pulling it on those narrow, winding, gravel roads that are so common in the areas where we would want to go camping!

Amy.

PS: Our caravan isn't nearly as luxurious as Grumpy Goats! We do have a kitchen, toilet and bath and a private front queen bedroom though
    Last edited by auskiwi; 1st March 2010 at 12:37 PM.

We currently own a camper van (Roadtrek) which we plan to sell, but we are also thinking about buying and bringing a caravan which here can me had for very good prices. And aluminum construction makes some light weight enough to tow with an suv or similar.

We hired a 24ft camper van for our recce last december and we think the size for hauling it around towns etc was pushing it. We are looking at around same length caravan. It will be a longer train with vehicle, but you can leave them at the campground when going out.

I am wondering about the 240 volt vs 110 question. I read on the AA site that this has to be certified in NZ by an electrician and that it is a requirement for being allowed on most campgrounds.

Also, would anyone know if you would have to own the vehicle for at least a year before importing as with motorcycles etc (which I also plan on bringing along)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by auskiwi View Post
    We can pull the caravan with a suburban (1500), as it isn't a terribly heavy one. We've thought about having the caravan to leave on a beach section somewhere too, as a holiday cabin! My hubby is pretty handy, so isn't afraid to tackle any electrical conversions that may be required (though he seems to think a transformer may work on most items in the caravan). I'll keep you posted on what we decide to do.

My biggest fear is pulling it on those narrow, winding, gravel roads that are so common in the areas where we would want to go camping!

Amy.

PS: Our caravan isn't nearly as luxurious as Grumpy Goats! We do have a kitchen, toilet and bath and a private front queen bedroom though

Yeah, NO suburbans here either. The 4x4s here are much smaller. The Pajero is a larger one. Or a Range Rover--that is really the biggest kind of "truck" you will see here. Can they actually pull anything though? I kind of always thought of them like those Cadillac "trucks"--all poof and no pull.

And almost every pick up truck is a Toyota here.

The cars are definitely small here.

And a caravan like yours with all those amenities is quite luxurious in NZ!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast