Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My experience with BUNAC

Thumbs up My experience with BUNAC

i live in Hawaii and decided to apply for a WHV through BUNAC because i was nearly 31 when i decided to apply, and the US working holiday scheme cut off age is 30... however, through BUNAC's WHV scheme people up to age 35 can apply.

i started the initial process on 15 Jan. and submitted the program application, a work reference and a cashier's check for fees ($530 includes visa application fees). a week later i received an email saying i've been accepted to the program and was given a deadline of 22 Feb. to complete phase 2 of the application process.

for phase 2, i had to provide:

• passport with at least 3 blank pages and valid for at least 3 months after planned departure from NZ

• confirmed roundtrip airfare - BUNAC referred me to Travel Cuts and i paid $1060 for roundtrip ticket (HNL to AKL) with open end return date and 2 year validity.

• bank statement issued within the last 6 weeks with proof of funds (at least US$2000)

• completed visa application - they provided me with step by step instructions on how to fill out each line (EXTREMELY helpful and very clear)

• recent passport photo (attached to visa application)

• insurance fees - $479 for 12 month coverage

i sent everything out via express mail on 12 Feb. and received an e-mail on 22 Feb. saying my WHV has been issued. i was worried because i was detained in scotland this past january, and i have a limited entry stamp in my passport. but everything was fine and i'm good to go.

BUNAC Fed-Exed me back my passport along with a Lonely Planet Guide to NZ book, airport transfer and 2 nights stay at ACB - Auckland Central Backpackers... a hostel in auckland. i'm used to a little different accommodations, so i booked a room at the Westin Auckland Lighter Quay instead.

IEP (International Exchange Programs) is who i am dealing with once i arrive and for the duration of my stay in NZ. they have orientations that don't require advance reservations every Mon, Wed, and Fri at 10am. this is when they help set up a bank account and IRD number. i looked into setting up a bank account from Hawaii but honestly, i was a bit confused by the tax questions and frankly can't be bothered right now. i will take advantage of their services and just do it in NZ with their help.

i am a stickler when it comes to things and always want to triple check everything. BUNAC is just a phone call or e-mail away and have always been helpful, professional and courteous. i phoned them with every little question i had (besides, that's what i paid them for right?) and they answered every enquiry to my complete satisfaction.

i write of my experience so far because there are very little posts about BUNAC and even fewer posts about anyone's recent experience with them, especially to NZ. i am a single male born and raised in Hawaii, never lived anywhere else, and doing this alone. having BUNAC's assistance was well worth the all inclusive $530 fee. I leave for AKL next month, and will continue to catalogue my experiences once i'm there for more reference.

hope this thread will be helpful

Thanks for sharing! there are only a few I know of on here that did the BUNAC route, but it sounds like a great program.

Great post!

I did BUNAC during my Uni years, once to Australia and once to USA - I always thought they were great, although as you pointed out geared more towards people in their 20s for some aspects.

I think they are a great option for those wanting to check NZ out.

For Australia & USA they had working restrictions, mainly in the amount of time you could stay in one job, is that the same for NZ?

Cheers

Tia

Wonderful

the conditions of the WHV are that i am unable to work for the same employer for more than 3 months. also, i am unable to accept permanent work. it says nothing of this on the actual visa itself, but that was my understanding of it based on the literature they provided at one point throughout the process.

to be honest though, i'm going back through all the literature and forms etc, and am unable to find where it has any mention of that. i'm starting to think that i imagined it

will update later if i end up finding any info on it...

I seem to remember the 3 mo thing, too....but great if it's not in there! Also I wonder if you can apply for a WV or other visas while over on a BUNAC

I looked into BUNAC a few years ago, but hubby was too old and now so am I!

I have read with interest about the Bunac experience and wonder if anyone has had experience with joining with a South African passport? I have heard that a SA passport is not accepted ... and if so - are there any other similar working adventure companies that would accept our passports.

Thanks for any help
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ana&Steve View Post
    I seem to remember the 3 mo thing, too....but great if it's not in there! Also I wonder if you can apply for a WV or other visas while over on a BUNAC

I looked into BUNAC a few years ago, but hubby was too old and now so am I!
    time flies doesn't it??

i phoned NZ immigrations and enquired about coming over on the BUNAC WHV and if i could apply to change my status once in NZ, and he confirmed that it's the same process as the ordinary WHV... i can just apply to change to a different visa once i'm there.

sorry Steadybears, i have no idea!

maybe you should phone or e-mail BUNAC and just ask. if they don't have any WHV schemes with SA, then maybe they can point you in the right direction of an agency that does! it's worth a shot.

BUNAC USA
    BUNAC USA,
    PO Box 430,
    Southbury,CT 06488,
    USA
    Telephone: (203) 264-0901 or 1-800-GO-BUNAC
    Fax: (203) 264-0251
    E-mail: info@bunacusa.org

BUNAC UK
    BUNAC,
    16 Bowling Green Lane,
    London,
    EC1R 0QH
    Telephone: (020) 7251-3472
    Fax: (020) 7251-0215
    E-mail: enquiries@bunac.org.uk

Thanks Kawibear - have sent off email to query that. Thanks again for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast