Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that happen in NZ that wouldn't happen anywhere else ...

lol

Walking down hill into town, being offered and accepting a lift from a stranger because it was raining heavily... Never happened in London (either the offer, or if it had of done, my accepting it...!)

The bus I was on taking a detour to drop a lady off at her destination as she had got on the wrong bus.

Quote Originally Posted by norma View Post
    The bus I was on taking a detour to drop a lady off at her destination as she had got on the wrong bus.
    That is pretty amazing!

The other day we put our daughter on the train to join friends at Picton. Getting on at the same time was a very old chap who we chatted to for a few minutes while we waited. He was meeting his son on the train and they were travelling on together. So the train leaves and the old boy discovers that his son is NOT onboard; dad has got the wrong day and the next stop is over two hours away at Kaikoura with an all day wait for the return journey!

So the train staff called the police who met the train at one of the many level crossings up the line. The old guy was dropped off and the police drove him back. Imagine British Rail....

1) Shopkeepers coming out on the street to give better direction

2) Lady finding bewildered OH in front of a closed dairy in Hahei on Anzac Day
    and taking her home to give milk and a loaf of bread so her children and hubby could have breakfast! This was the tipping point for OH to decide to move to NZ.

Idiot cyclist touring round rides over a pavement to avoid a long detour around Gisborne one way system which happens to be outside the police station. Cyclist rides off, but police officer upstairs on break sees this and goes down, to hunt idiot cyclist down. After half an hour hunt then policeman locates idiot cyclist for a 'chat'.

Nothign unusual there, but the twist between the UK and NZ is that the reason the policeman put down his donut was because I'd managed to lose a front panier (without noticing) and he was searching for me to confirm that it was at the police station, where someone had already handed it in before the PC got downstairs.....

Second one - the major professional 3 day conference. Posh dinner on the final night. All normal. What's not quite normal is that the dinner is fancy dress with a theme (super hero). I'm not quite sure what to make of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Idiot cyclist touring round rides over a pavement to avoid a long detour around Gisborne one way system which happens to be outside the police station. Cyclist rides off, but police officer upstairs on break sees this and goes down, to hunt idiot cyclist down. After half an hour hunt then policeman locates idiot cyclist for a 'chat'.

Nothign unusual there, but the twist between the UK and NZ is that the reason the policeman put down his donut was because I'd managed to lose a front panier (without noticing) and he was searching for me to confirm that it was at the police station, where someone had already handed it in before the PC got downstairs.....
    "I'd managed to lose a front panier (without noticing)" WHOW

People dropping their kids off at school, still in their PJ's and slippers.

Me walking my kids to school, and into the classroom for a chat with the teacher while still in my PJ's and slippers...I'd never in a million years have done that in UK.

Going to collect a prescription up from a large pharmacy, only to be told they were out of stock of an item and would call me once the'd got their next delivery....not that uncommon. Having the pharmacist turning up on the doorstop the following evening with medicine in hand when we lived 40 minutes drive away....only in New Zealand!

Going to see a GP for a quick 5 minute appointment, then spending over half an hour chatting with the Dr about Shakespeare, Stratford on Avon and Warwick Castle because the the guy was planning a holiday to UK.

Walking into a shop just as the only member of staff is popping out for 5 minutes and being left to wander around an unsupervised shop all by myself. Might not have been so surprised with this if it was a small rural shop, but this was in Westfield, Riccarton.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast