Page 1 of 19 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that happen in NZ that wouldn't happen anywhere else ...

Default Things that happen in NZ that wouldn't happen anywhere else ...

I was on the ferry to Auckland from Half Moon Bay yesterday afternoon. We were around half way through the journey when the Captain announced we would be delayed slightly as we were visiting Rangitoto to pick up some stragglers who had missed the last ferry from there.

it turns out a party of 5 had taken a wrong turn on the hill and had ended up missing the last ferry to AKL. They had phoned their tour company and were finally told that someone would come for them. They expected a water taxi type thing and a hefty bill. Instead they got one diverted ferry and no additional cost to their original tickets! They were incredulous that this ferry had diverted from its schedule to 'rescue' them. Isn't it nice to see the really human face of a company such as Fullers.

Can you imagine that happening in the UK? I think they would have been camping somewhere for the night.

for Fullers and NZ generosity of spirit.

Like shifting the whole school calendar around to suit the Rugby World cup fixtures - just got to love it!
    Certainly wouldn't happen in the UK.

Well perhaps they have some concerns in terms of PR as they've not always been covered in glory. A couple of years back they came in for a lot of flak after leaving 100 or so passengers stranded overnight on the wharf at Waiheke.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/fullers-gr...0423316&pnum=1

Quote Originally Posted by icemaiden View Post
    for Fullers and NZ generosity of spirit.
    Hear hear!

I've had so many such little experiences since moving here.

Everybody waiting at the traffic lights on Green whilst the guy in the truck at the front gets out and helps a blind lady cross. Not a single honk of a horn

I was amazed to see cars still stop when the light turns red (at the majority of red lights).
    Here...it seems to be an epidemic of red light runner. I would say it is 50-60% of red lights.....someone will run it (just as it turned red, or clearly has turned red).

It being considered saffe to have a 150m long wooden bridge 3m wide, which is unsignalled for two way cars / trucks. And pedestrians. And cyclists.

And trains!

All totally working on a give way system, despite that you can't see to the other end.

(South Island, west coast highway).

Tourist (moi) doing last minute grocery shopping at a large Auckland supermarket on New Years eve and just running short on cash to clear bubbles and goodies to welcome the new era after cc did not seem to work; "no worries" says the lady behind the till, and she grabs some loose change from behind the till to top up my shortage

meeting a stranger at a gas station after dark, accepting their offer of hospitality, and NOT getting murdered in your sleep

Disclaimer: special circumstances; generally not recommended anywhere; results not guaranteed

Page 1 of 19 123 ... LastLast