Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying an Import car vs buying a used "NZ NEW" car

Quote Originally Posted by Tim S View Post
    Also modern cars are a lot harder to do it to, especially with the switch to digital odometers.
    Bit of a myth I'm afraid. It turns our that with the right equipment it is much easier to roll back a digital odometer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim S View Post
    Regarding the odometer reading, from what I have read this was a major issue in the past when the cars they were importing and their subsequent profit by selling a low mileage car was higher. But now because of the costs involved (both in time and money) to wind an odometer back it usually isn't worthwile as the extra profit they would get is less than what they spend doing it. Also modern cars are a lot harder to do it to, especially with the switch to digital odometers. I guess dodgy computer boffins charge more than dodgy mechanics in Japan.

Also I notice the AA offer a odometer certification inspection: http://www.aa.co.nz/motoring/buyings...s/default.aspx

A few of the cars I have seen advertised state they have an odometer certification, not sure if it is from the AA or not though.

I noticed a few dealers advertise cars as being 'AA appraised', I take it this means that the AA has done a simple check to make sure its in good mechanical order and not a complete check inc. odometer readings and such?
    I remember in the late 70's early 80's, odometer readings wound back were an issue, but as you say not much today; Many NZ's particularly younger 18 - 25 don't tend to keep cars that long anyway as compared to about 20 - 30 years ago. I have bought many cheaper/older cars (1992 - 1996, > 150, 000 k's), to repair for resale, and generally engines are still pretty intact with good compression.

Often the odd suspension part/cv joint, air flow meter, power steering reservoir are worn/non functioning. Engine manufacturing tolerances have become better I believe, and after 30 years of repairing cars/engines, it has become much less frequent (Though bit more difficult - mainly due to limited engine bay space) for Asian cars made after about 1990...

Bit of a myth I'm afraid. It turns our that with the right equipment it is much easier to roll back a digital odometer.
    I personally have never heard it was possible to reprogram the odometer. But nowadays, I think LTNZ requires imported cars (by dealers) to have a history service record (ie. in Japan, factory scheduled maintenance intervals with recorded odometer readings). Really, it's not as easy as it use to be to cheat the #s.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    I personally have never heard it was possible to reprogram the odometer.
    It is possible. I know of a motorcycle crash that requires an instrument cluster replacement and when a brand new cluster was installed (hence brand new odometer) the owner requested for the odometer to read the same to the old one, and it was done with no questions asked (although the owner did explain his case to the garage).

edit: it's the digital odometer I was referring to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12