Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organic in Nelson?

Default Organic in Nelson?

We've just finished reading "A life stripped bare" - one man's crusade to live ethically for a year - and now trying to make some small changes in the same direction. After considering being vegetarian for a while and deciding we couldn't do it, we have decided to cut down what meat we eat and to make sure that if we eat it, it's organic.

I found fresh2u.co.nz who will deliver us a weekly mixed fruit and veg box, but finding it more difficult to find a source of organic meat.

For similar reasons, would rather avoid supermarkets if possible unless someone can recommend a good one that isn't part of a wider global monster corporation.

Heartily recommend the book, by the way.

hi KatieBen, don't know any meat suppliers, but did come across these 2 websites that list a few organic suppliers: http://www.ecofestnelsontasman.co.nz/organic.html & http://www.organicdirect.co.nz/

You'll be lucky - and it'll be fiercely expensive if you can find it.

Organic here is still at the stage it was in the UK about 20 years ago - largely reserved for bearded hippies and the wealthy urban bohemians.

None of the supermarkets within 50 miles of us even sell more than a token line in organic milk, fruit or vegetables for example - much less organic meat.

95% of Kiwis just wouldn't be willing and/or able to pay the premium.

Best I've found is www.cambrianmeats.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by langers View Post
    Best I've found is www.cambrianmeats.co.nz
    Nice to see that the they keep their website updated....

The price list is September 2008!

I didn't say it was good, just the best I'd found ;o)

Thanks all, have followed links and found them extremely useful.

Oddly, looking at the prices quoted on Clark's Organic Butchery - we may even end up saving money doing it this way! I figure I could get a month's worth of meat delivered for around $300 - add to that the around $160 of the veg box for a month and it comes in at $466 - much less than the $800-$900 we are currently spending in Pak'n'Save every month!

(obviously not including the dry goods which will add a little to the total - can't see it going that much higher though)

I would just like to say that I don't find organic animals in NZ treated much is any better than the conventionally farmed ones. In fact because of some of the rules they have to follow to be organic I have some concerns about the welfare of the organic animals. Basically if an organic animal gets sick they're not allowed an antibiotic so are treated with less effective treatments and are ill and/or in pain for a much longer period then they should have to be.

Chicken and pork I prefer free range but not organic for the same reason as above.

But with sheep and beef I'm fine with buying conventional NZ pasture raised meat.

Quote Originally Posted by langers View Post
    I didn't say it was good, just the best I'd found ;o)
    That's true!

Quote Originally Posted by KatieBen View Post
    Thanks all, have followed links and found them extremely useful.

Oddly, looking at the prices quoted on Clark's Organic Butchery - we may even end up saving money doing it this way! I figure I could get a month's worth of meat delivered for around $300 - add to that the around $160 of the veg box for a month and it comes in at $466 - much less than the $800-$900 we are currently spending in Pak'n'Save every month!

(obviously not including the dry goods which will add a little to the total - can't see it going that much higher though)
    I reckon I'd eat 2 of their $255 packs in a month but $160 worth of vegetables would last me a year....!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast