Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US sewing machine and other appliances

Default US sewing machine and other appliances

We are having our stuff shipped over from the States and I am still trying to figure out if my US sewing machine would work over here with a transformer or some other device. Does anyone have experience with this? What will I need?
    Thanks

I wonder if it would work- I think a lot of electronic motors are controlled by the frequency of the electricity- so if you bring it here I would think the motor would probably speed up and eventually burn out the motor.

This is just me guessing and I look forward to the people who ACTUALLY know what they're talking about answering the question.

In the US, I figured it wouldn't work and didn't bring my US sewing machine. But then I got here and saw the NZ prices

I have a garage sale sewing machine here now. But I sure miss my nice fancy US one!!

I think that since a VHS and a Kitchenaid mixer both seem to work just fine on a step down transformer, I don't see why the sewing machine wouldn't work.

Hopefully someone who actually knows will answer!

I'm planning on buying a big hefty transformer so I can run all my electronic goods.

I looked at the replacement prices in NZ for my TV/PC/various machines and decided a top of the line transformer would be well worth the investment.

A really big, good quality transformer is 300-500 bucks. It would cost me more than that to replace just one TV in NZ...

Hello and welcome, emylou. We have some good people with electrics around, so you should get some help shortly.

I'm no electrician either, but my understanding is that though you can buy stepup-stepdowns and plug adapters, the hertz are the problem. They can't be converted so you're shortening the life of the machine; by how much I can't know. Also with a sewing machine, if you do decide to bring it, I wonder if the timing would have to be adjusted to the new power setup...
    I'm planning on bringing my industrial sewing machine (juki) and buying a new/used NZ motor for it but I don't think that's an option for home machines.
    As for my home sewing machines, (singer and pfaff) when the time come to move I'll weigh what I can sell the machines for against the cost of buying an NZ machine and costs of the transformers. I know electronics are expensive in NZ and the cost of "setting up house" again will be pricey, so in the end the sewing machines (and the kitchen aid) will probably come with us.

Quote Originally Posted by emylou View Post
    We are having our stuff shipped over from the States and I am still trying to figure out if my US sewing machine would work over here with a transformer or some other device. Does anyone have experience with this? What will I need?
    Thanks
    A good thread to read is US vs NZ Electronics

As others have said with a suitable transformer it will almost certainly work. The main issue is frequency as US is 60Hz and NZ is 50Hz where some motorised devices use this frequency to control their speed so worst case scenario the speed would slow down a little.

Ian

Considering that there is basically no resale market in the US (we had to just give stuff away when we left because we couldn't sell it for 15 cents!), I would just bring it and not worry about the hertz issue.

I thought the hertz issue was going to be a problem on my other motorized things like the Kitchen Aid mixer, but I can't see a bit of difference in the performance. Maybe the motor will burn up quicker but I guess I would never know for sure what the cause is if that happens.

And MOST important--buy your transformers in the US before you come. They don't sell very big ones here and they are OUTRAGEOUS!!!

What will cost you $65 in the US will cost you $3-400 here!!!

And they are so big and heavy that to ship one by USPS from the states would cost $250!! Yikes!

Wow, it all sounds complicated. I would hate to cart it here and then have it blow-up on me. So what I am looking for is a step-down transformer...a good heavy duty one?
    Last edited by emylou; 9th March 2010 at 11:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast