Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS

Default GPS

I am trying to locate a gps I can use in NZ. I am finding it very difficult to find a company that does maps of NZ. Any ideas.

Default Re: GPS

Quote Originally Posted by cornerofsilence
    I am trying to locate a gps I can use in NZ. I am finding it very difficult to find a company that does maps of NZ. Any ideas.
    Navman are a NZ GPS company. You could try them. But they'd probably want you to use their hardware. What are you running the software on?

John.

When I went over recently I took my handheld Cobra 100 just to make sure it would work OK over there. It worked fine, but it's a basic model and doesn't have a facility to upload maps.

Still, I took a reading back to home while I was in Cathedral Square. 11,799 miles, that's a long way from home

For your info..........we just bought a GPS from Navman, including the NZ map and it costs $1897.

What a silly moo I am - I thought this was about locating a good General Practitioner GP - not a Global Positioning System! ops:
    Cannot believe I was a lecturer in computing - indeed Head of Computing in a college.
    Having children has definately taken some of my brain cells

Guys,
    How about GARMIN? anybody have ever heard this? I believe this GPS systems used by most airlines company in the world (correct me if I'm wrong), but I was thinking of buying this portable and using it while in NZ.

Originally from Malaysia, in Wellington since May 2005

I use a Garmin GPS III+ and it worked fine in NZ with World Map Source CD but it does not have a detailed NZ road map.

I came across a detailed NZ road map that supposedly works well with my Garmin on sale at trademe.co.nz. Unfortunately, I could not get it as I need to verify my address in NZ before I can sign-up to buy it. If you do a search on trademe website under GPS you are bound to find this software.

Shagen,
    I would probably ask to the Garmin rep. here in America, cause I believe they have the most updated products. ( not sure though) and ask about the software that I have to get for NZ map.
    so in other words, you experience with Garmin is quite good, isn't it?

Navman have just released streel-level detail mapping for NZ. It works with their SmartST V3.0 software. I believe it may only work with their own hardware though, whether it be laptop, PDA or dedicated GPS based.

Cheers
    Billy

hi,

Has anyone tried pocked WAW (http://www.wherearewe.co.nz/pocketwaw.html)

I Have got it installed on my Ipaq and a GPS reciever in preperation for my trip. try that. The maps are suposed to be street level.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast