Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of shipping from US

Default Cost of shipping from US

Hi, I've tried using the search button but I can't seem to find any costs of shipping FROM the US to New Zealand. I requested a quote from Rainer and they haven't replied.
    Could someone share their costs with me?
    THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by Shones View Post
    Hi, I've tried using the search button but I can't seem to find any costs of shipping FROM the US to New Zealand. I requested a quote from Rainer and they haven't replied.
    Could someone share their costs with me?
    THANKS
    We had a 40' container shipped from Seattle to Chch for 16,000 usd. That included packing. Have you tried calling Dave Wiviot at Rainier? I'm surprised they haven't replied since they were very responsive to us and did a great job.

we brought a 20' container for @ US$8,000 from Texas through the port in Atlanta (avoiding LA). We packed everything ourselves.
    REALLY wish we had opted for the 40' container and brought more. iirc, it was only US$12,000 (no packing). Replacing the items has definitely cost more than $4000!!!

Thanks all for sharing!
    I think perhaps Rainier didn't reply because I requested a quote from Mexico.
    At the moment, I just wanted a ball park figure because as it's still a while off, I wondered about buying some new stuff here that we need (hubby reckoned we were better off not shipping and reluctant to buy anything) but reading all your comments (and others about price/quality) in NZ I feel we should consider shipping).
    I shall steer clear of Ocean Star , thanks Pony Girl.
    Any specific things you didn't bring and wish you had?

I recently received a quote from Doug at Ranier:

Door to Door: $9290.00 flat for 20ft container [exclusive use] or 40ft container with 1400Cf. $12,390.00
    Door to Port Only Nelson: $7990.00 flat for 20ft container [exclusive use] or 40ft container with 1400Cf. $10,190.00
    Other: Two custom crates for marble tops $75.00 each
    Notes: Estimated transit time 50-65 days door to door

Doug WiviottDirector,
    International Business DevelopmentRainier Overseas Movers,
    Inc.PO Box 97004
    Bellevue, WA. 98009
    Toll free 800-426-9928 extn 220Local 425-277-6000 extn 220Fax 425-643-0448
    Please visit us today at WWW.RAINIEROS.COM

Does this seem reasonable to everyone who has shipped from US to NZ? What do you think, Shones?

We self loaded a 20 foot container when we came over in 2006. It cost us around $5500 USD which included having the container brought to our home in Oregon, parked for 2 hours (while we loaded it) and delivered to the port in Auckland. Once the container arrived we had to pay another $2000 NZ in port fees and to have the container delivered to our home in Titirangi (Auckland), where the local company (Conroys) unloaded the items into our house. They didn't unpack any boxes, just delivered boxes into the right rooms. We spent days unpacking and then got rid of all the packaging materials!

I received this quote recently for a 40 foot container (we have collected quite a bit more stuff and furniture since returning to the USA in the last 3 years! - hence the move from a 20 foot to a 40 foot - eek!). I would expect to add about $1000 for port fees, but this is for door to door service from Oregon to NZ (The quote says CA, but the zip code is the right one for here in Oregon!)

Thank you for considering CARGO EXPERTS for your upcoming shipment. Please find below our binding quote following your request.
    Origin
    Oakland, CA 97462
    Destination
    Auckland, New Zealand

Reference#
    Move Date
    7/11/2010
    Container Size
    Rate
    40' Container
    $7395

Following services are included:

Door-to-Door service: Included
    Loading/Unloading: Included
    Standard Disassembling/Reassembling: Included
    Line Haul Charges/Trucking: Included
    Standard customs clearance: Included
    US THC: Included
    Export Filing

Following services are NOT included:

Terminal handling charges (THC)
    Optional Cargo Insurance:
    All risk zero deductible 3.95% of Declared Value
    All risk $500.00 deductible 2.95% of Declared Value
    All risk $1000.00 deductible 2.75% of Declared Value
    Excess overflow charge/ per additional cubic foot: $15.00
    Special customs inspection, customs penalties, quarantine and fumigation.
    Customs duties or taxes, port charges or congestion fees, container detention due to customer delay, storage and demurrages.
    Special equipment, ferry service, barge service, shuttles, difficult access, double handling, piano handling and safe handling.
    Packing of Boxes and Wrapping of Furniture - If needed will be charged upon use.
    Pickup / Delivery beyond 100 Miles from the Sea Port
    Rates are valid for 60 days.

Your rate is based on your item list, if you have removed or added items please contact your sales representative prior to signing freight contract. If you have not submitted an item list please visit our website www.cargo-experts.net, please use your reference number. Our final quote will be sent upon receiving.

Last edited by auskiwi; 9th March 2010 at 04:26 PM.

If I had it to do all over, I would DEFINITELY opt for the door to port service.

My best advice to anyone planning a move is to avoid the door to door and get door to port instead. When you get here, find a decent company of your choice to work with. You will have a contract with them and they will be more responsive to you.

The door to door service is a MESS and an awful lot of people have cried and complained about the service and billing on this end of the move. And it is hard to hold the NZ company to anything as you have no actual agreement with them. It can be infuriating!!

Avoid that drama and hire the company here yourself when you get here.

It will work out MUCH cheaper too!
    Last edited by GrumpyGoat; 9th March 2010 at 08:51 PM.

Would never have considered Door to Port, so thanks for that tip, Grumpy Goat.
    Magcats, that does sound reasonable. Interestingly the quotes don't seem much cheaper than from what people have quoted from UK yet US is much closer....

Thanks to all who've posted. You've certainly left me food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by Shones View Post
    Magcats, that does sound reasonable. Interestingly the quotes don't seem much cheaper than from what people have quoted from UK yet US is much closer....
    Good point, those prices do seem high. I wonder if it's because in the UK we produce virtually nothing now, so all the containers normally go back empty. At least there's some exports from the US...

Perhaps worth checking both. Remember that Allied and Crown opperate in both US and NZ and so you reduce the risk by actually having a contract with the delivery company.

Quote Originally Posted by magcats View Post
    I recently received a quote from Doug at Ranier:

Door to Door: $9290.00 flat for 20ft container [exclusive use] or 40ft container with 1400Cf. $12,390.00
    Door to Port Only Nelson: $7990.00 flat for 20ft container [exclusive use] or 40ft container with 1400Cf. $10,190.00
    Other: Two custom crates for marble tops $75.00 each
    Notes: Estimated transit time 50-65 days door to door

Doug WiviottDirector,
    International Business DevelopmentRainier Overseas Movers,
    Inc.PO Box 97004
    Bellevue, WA. 98009
    Toll free 800-426-9928 extn 220Local 425-277-6000 extn 220Fax 425-643-0448
    Please visit us today at WWW.RAINIEROS.COM

Does this seem reasonable to everyone who has shipped from US to NZ? What do you think, Shones?
    This sounds reasonable based on our quote. Rainier offers 3 levels of packing and ours was more expensive b/c we opted for the top level (I think its called gold standard or something like that). They used "dolphin wrap" for all of the furniture (we shipped a lot of antiques) so we wanted to ensure no damage. Also I've heard the recession has decreased the amount of oversea moves (especially ones funded by companies) so I think some of the shippers are being a bit more competitive with their bids than a year ago. We have moved (in the U.S. and overseas) at least 7 times and the move to NZ w/Rainier was the first time we had no damage (except one pasta bowl

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast