Thread: Reiki

Smile Reiki

Hi there....

We have totally fallen in love with NZ, and are hoping to make it our new home. I am a Reiki Practitioner, and wondered please whether there is much interest in NZ for alternative therapies.

Any comments or guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thank you....

Hello and welcome.

There is quite a bit of discussion happening at the moment in NZ about having mandatory registration for all practitioners of alternative therapies. I met several reiki practitioners in NZ who were signing up to the Charter mentioned at this link http://www.newhealth.govt.nz/maccah/regulation.htm and there are various bodies just concerned with reiki, or with reiki as one of the energy therapies (a Google search will find them). You'll need to show your certificates. Frank Arjava Petter had been on several visits and run training sessions just before I was over in 2004. I think how much interest there is varies with where you decide to set up home.

Hullo and thank you for your reply.

I do belong to the Reiki Association here in the UK, and have insurance, but this is a great link and info, so thanks once again for your help.

Most probably we will be looking around the Wellington area (my husband is an IT Manager), though hopefully in the future we would be able to relocate to the South Island towards Dunedin or Kaikoura.

All exciting stuff!

I'm guessing that Kaikoura may have a market from tourists, but outsiode of tourist season then it's a tiny place.

I wonder iof the Coromandel with it's artsy bohemian residents would be more likely to have a market, although you may find that half the popualtion are already reiki practitioners.

I didn't get to the Coromandel, so I don't know, but I saw there's quite a community of like-minded people in west Auckland. There are also other people who think those people have horns and tails, but I expect you've come across that reaction before, too.

Alternative therapies have become more popular but as to making a living I think you will find it is tough going. My daughter is in the South Island, she has studied alternative therapies in psychology and she finds it very tough to get 'clients'. She certainly can't rely on it for money.
    The way I see it, to be reasonably successful your business needs to be tied up/work in conjunction with, a Medical practice or hospital.