Thread: Plumbing enquiry - new to the process (Re: NZQA etc)

Default Plumbing enquiry - new to the process (Re: NZQA etc)

Hello,

I am a self employed plumber here in London and I am seriously looking into moving to New Zealand. I hear there are various ways of been accpeted or applying to New Zealand and I may have to have my qualification accessed by NZQA. If they do not recognise my qualification does this mean I must or have to be accessed in the UK or in New Zealand? I am also very aware that NZ plumbing can is far different to ours here and I am worried about possibly not even passing their tests? I may have my plumbing qualifications though my plumbing skills and knowledge has become stream lined somewhat here ie: not very broad and the grey matter may have gone to pot if I start to trawl for my knowledge.

Next quick question is, I have just paid for a full accessment by a visa agency which I feel will highlight where or how I can apply to move to New Zealand. Does anyone know whether or not it would be fesible to go for a holiday and canvass plumbing companies in the hope of a job offer? I understand the company would have to sponsor me and meet certain requirements.

I would welcome any information that could assist me.

Thank you
    Lee

There was a very simmilar thread a few months back, and a couple of plumbers already over there gave some feedback.

If you've actually paid for an immigration I'd expect them to be doing all this for you, no point in paying AND doing it yourself, although the general feeling is that in many cases you can just do it yourself (and not pay anyone).

Hello and welcome.

I think we may be the only current members who came as Skilled Migrants in the plumbing field. My OH is a Master (or Craftsman) Plumber, Drainlayer and Gasfitter from the US--who worked in plumbing for over 20 years (3rd generation plumber) and owned a large plumbing company (20+ plumbers) when we applied.

I will help you in any way that I can.

First, Plumbing was on the skills shortage list for several years but was removed last summer (July 2009, I believe). Do you have a partner who has a profession on the list?

Second, the assessment is done by the NZ Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board. Here is a link to their Immigrant Qualification Assessment System. It is a form that you will fill out telling them about your experience. Then you will add as much documentation of your training, testing and qualifications as you can get your hands on and mail it in. (I think the fee was @ NZ$500)
    They will schedule an interview with you over the phone and will ask you a variety of plumbing questions to test your overall knowledge. Historically, they have had issues with the quality of applicants being very poor (this is what they told me).

If you are approved at this juncture, you can count points for being skilled on your application to NZIS (EOI).

(this section has nothing to do with work permits or immigration --only plumbing licensing) When you arrive in NZ, you will be able to find a job with this letter from NZQA accepting you into the IQAS. When you find a job, they will issue you with a "limited license" (the name is set to change on 1 April). This is basically an apprentice type license.

Then, you will get the pleasure of paying NZ$3500 to go to Wellington for a week to take a hands on practical examination. You will put together a system for them and they will grade it. If you pass, they will allow you to sit the examination to become a "registered plumber" --which is the same test the apprentices complete. The test is only given 2 times a year and it is obnoxiously difficult. I think it has a 17% pass rate. There is quite a bit of turmoil in the PGDB (the Board) at the moment trying to get them to overhaul the system. It took my OH two tries to pass the silly thing as he missed the first time by literally one point (long story!!)

It will take you about one year to get to the "registered plumber" phase.

Once you pass the first examination, you will get the pleasure of two additional tests to get to Craftsman--where you will be qualified to be self employed. The tests are a Craftsman examination and a business common examination. You will not be permitted to sit the examinations until at least 1 year after you passed the registration exam. You will not be allowed to progress to "Craftsman" until 2 years after you become registered. This is the same for the NZ plumbing apprentices coming through the system. They have made no provisions for overseas qualified plumbers to bypass any of this system.

If you move to NZ, you will basically be starting at apprentice level and it will take you minimum 3 years to get yourself re-qualified. NZ plumbing is certainly unique and OH (even with his years of experience) did need about a year to get all the new things. It is definitely a "lazy" way of doing everything. No backflow prevention--lots of real questionable ways of doing things. But you adapt.

As OH is also a gasfitter--that would require another $3500 in IQAS fees and another practical assessment, another round of examinations etc. He has chosen to not pursue this as gas is not that big in the south island. However, gasfitter is still on the skill shortage list. Don't know if you are a gasfitter as well?

And for drainlaying, it is not possible to "import" this skill---from any country. OH would have to take an 18 month course for the National Certificate in Drainlaying if he wants this qualification back.

IMO, you do NOT need to hire someone. I doubt VERY seriously that they will understand the PGDB system (almost everyone uses the NZQA--except plumbers) that you will have to navigate so I am pretty sure they will not be much help and you will end up doing all the work anyway. Even NZIS does not understand the PGDB system.

I will be happy to help walk you through the system. When we were overseas, another plumbers wife (from UK to NZ) helped walk me through the system (on the other expat forum before I found this one) so I have to pay that forward.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Hi,

Thanks for all that information Grumpy Goat and sorry it took me so long to reply back, I actually forgot about the post I put on this site.

I feel somewhat depleated after hearing what a process this all is. It's unbelievable the process your husband had to go through?

Where I am at the moment is that I made a formal initial application through an agent here in the UK to have myself assessed as to my eligibility and points bla bla bla for NZ. I recieved an enormous amount of information back, but basically my situation is that I have only attained 90 points. They also suggest I apply for an EOI which I don't quite understand why because the pool starts at 100 right up to the 140 mark and I am short of that. They also suggest that I attempt to get an offer of employment, which I understand but I am a little unclear what the process of application is if/when/ or I am lucky enough to get something.

In the UK I am a self employed plumber and I have been for coming on 5-6 years now. I have also previously worked for a large company. I have a level 3 qualification from the UK, though having become self employed and working solely on domestic properties and not performing very technical plumbing works, I have no confidence of passing those exams either. I think the grey matter has gone to sleep because it has not been used!

If I am offered a position in NZ by an employer, I presume the employer and myself have to make an application to the authorities and satisfy their requirements. Does this mean I have to apply for an EOI still and then gain the extra 50 points for a job offer which means I should be automatically selected?

My apologies if I am rambling on and this is not your area of knowledge? Perhaps I will leave this message right here and I will let you digest this .

I look forward to your thoughts.

Kind regards,
    Lee

If you do get an offer, then you still mae the application jsut as you would do with no offer, but when it comes to the ITA submisison then you'll need to send the original of the job offer, and that has to meet the NZ requirements which are a bit more formal than we may be used to in the UK Basically I didn't bother sending the appendices, but that was needed as to be legal then it needs to describe your holiday, working hours, and a few other things. Won't be a problem, but jsut be aware of it. Key thing here is that nothing short of a formal written job offer will suffice.

The very first thing you would need to do is get an assessment by the PGDB board here in NZ.

The Immigrant Qualification Assessment System (IQAS) forms can be found at the link. Print them out and fill them in and send them (with lots of documentation) to the PGDB (Plumber, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board) for them to assess. I think the fee is @$500 NZ.

They will determine the level you are comparable and whether or not you can work as a plumber in NZ. If they assess you favorably, then they will send you a letter that states you will be allowed to sit the IQAS practical assessment. At this point, you can take your letter and get a job. No one will hire you without you getting this far.

Once you have an actual job, you will need to send a form (signed by the employer) to PGDB (and about $300 more) and they will issue a "limited license" (but that name just changed but I forgot what the new name is).
    This is basically an apprentice card.

You would still need to get a work permit to begin your job. I don't know how you can get a work permit as a plumber now. It has been removed from the Essential Skills in Demand list. There are other avenues but I don't know much about any of that as I have no experience in the matter.

Once you get the work permit and start your job, you will still need to do the hands on practical exam (which takes a week) in Wellington. And sit the registration examination. And then wait several years and sit more examinations. After all of this, you will be allowed to be self employed.

The process is long and demoralizing. I wish it was easier. Oh, how I wish.

BTW, getting a job in the plumbing field is definitely an "in person" type of thing.

I am not saying it can not be done from overseas but I have heard of no one being successful this way. We certainly got absolutely NO interest (and OH had a VERY impressive portfolio of work available online). And I have met many other immigrant plumbers who also had to be in person to actually be hired.

But you need your PGDB assessment done first before anything else.