Thread: Gutter Guard?

Default Gutter Guard?

A friend of mine owns a plastics manufacturing company that has plants in the Uk and Australia. I've been talking to him about doing some part-time work for him when I get to NZ.

He tells me gutter guard is big in NZ ( a plastic net mesh that is fitted over your house gutter to keep leaves out).

Anyone know if this is something all Kiwis aspire to having ?

Not heard of it (or seen it on house details) but I'd sure be interested in getting hold of it! :P

Moorf you obviously have mains water ?

Adamsat
    We or I should I say our landlord ought to aspire to having gutter (better known as spouting in NZ) guards. For those of us who rely on Tanked water supplied by the rainwater runoff from the roof, gutter guards are nearly essential as they prevent leaves and moss and small animals and all that other nasty stuff from ending up in your water supply.

Perhaps your pal could improve upon the varietys of gutter guard that seem to be common here - floopy mesh that seems to lie in the bottom of the gutters , maybe something more rigid that stays proud of the bottom of the gutter - combine a thin filtration type mesh with a larger spaced thicker "structural" mesh, that would arch over the gutter?

Jon

Yep, we have half spring water and half mains - I now see why they would be needed though

Do you drink the spring water and bathe in the mains water ?

Jon

I believe so - although the mains water here in Chch is supposedly v. good too.

Thanks everyone, I can now see why you would need gutter guard.

Perhaps your pal could improve upon the varietys of gutter guard that seem to be common here - floopy mesh that seems to lie in the bottom of the gutters , maybe something more rigid that stays proud of the bottom of the gutter - combine a thin filtration type mesh with a larger spaced thicker "structural" mesh, that would arch over the gutter?
    From what I've seen the one they manufacture is rigid and goes over the top of the guttering. It's even colour co-ordinated to match the colour of your metal roof

I could not help thinking of this q & a from the "kiwi humour" section when I read this thread.

Q: Explain one of the processes by which water can be made safe
    to
    > >drink.
    > >
    > > A: Flirtation makes water safe to drink because it removes large
    > >pollutants like grit, sand, dead sheep and canoeists.

We've got gutterguard on the garage, the sort that arcs up over the gutter, which is just as well as its under the walnut tree and without it the down pipe would fill up with fallen walnuts. A lot of the houses here are single storey and the gutters would fill with loose leaves in the Autumn, once this happens the downpipe blocks and the water in the gutter is just as likely to flood into the roof space as just overflow. Not nice that, happened to us in Perth. Not too much of a problem with two storey houses as they are taller than most trees.

I have seen gutters guards on sale in a few places. They seem to be small sections of a semi-rigid plastic mesh which clip into the gutter edging. They also seem quite expensive at $39.95 for what seemed only a small amount.

The place we are buying has rainwater as the only water supply. We can buy water from the local farmer via a borehole ( just a case of turning on a tap at the storage tank) or, if necessary, buying in a tanker full. This has only been necessary once in the last 6 years.

Accordingly we will be checking for any sign of gutter guards, which obviously will be essential to keep the leaves out.

Pam & Dave