Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diabetes - - experience with PR applications and diabetes?

Default Diabetes - - experience with PR applications and diabetes?

Good morning!

My DH has been diagnosed with type 2diabetes about 8 years ago. It is under control, but he is still and will be for the rest of his live be on medication. He's BMI is 30.2 and he is other wise in good health. I know it is a speed bump to begin with, but has anyone else had any experience with PR applications and diabetes?

Thank you

our daughter has type 1 and had no problems with her
    residency but that was back in 2005 sent a letter with her medicals saying it was under control and monitored was not even referred to medical accessor

ill keep you informed.its driven us nuts and my partner and i have had a few fights over it but we are ok now.it just cant be helped.any suggestions from me.play by there rules.its out of your hands.and try not to get to rattled over it.its difficult i know.the other problem i should point out is the amount of time it takes for the ma to come back with a response.ive waited 3 weeks and most of our planns accomodation,buisness have gone out the window.we are now 5 months into this and weve excepted theres no point going now till after christmas.hope anyones found this informative

Yes my situation is different.i applied for PR on 3rd june 2010.i owned up to having diabetes type 2.im 53 and was diagnosed with diabetes when i was 50.i have to admit when i went for the initial medical in harley street and chest x ray i was carrying a bit of excess weight.i had a bmi of 34.6.not good in there eyes so my notes were sent off to the MA.I got a response back on 16 june 2010 asking me for a letter from my gp to mention raised hbaic and esr outside recomended range.my gp wrote to my co on 24th june 2010 sending alarm bells telling them i had a bmi of 34.6 and a hba1c of 8.1.not helpfull and not good.the letter cost me 40 pounds!
    next i heard back from my co saying the ma had indicated i needed to visit a cardiologist and a endicrinologist.my gp told me this would have to be done at my own expense.not a nhs matter so she sent me to see 2 of the top consultants in london.at this point i was nearly ready to quit but i thought id reached a point of no return.the cardiologist gave me a ecg which was favourable and sent me a bill from him and the hospital of 750 pounds ouch.next was the endicrinologist.he told me i needed to lose weight.suggested a diet and gave me a new mediacation.3 visits later id lost weight and my blood tests were much more favourable.endicrinologist charged 750 pounds.blood test 140 pounds ouch.i submitted both reports thinking that would be it.guess what got a ma report back to say i was clinically obese and outside there preferred readings.
    ive since starved myself and been to the gymn frequently.i found out the figures they are looking for are under 30 bmi and under 6.5 hbaic.this morning 13 october my birthday ive got my bmi down to 29.4,still awaiting results of my hbaic.will know next week.im hoping to get a much more favourable letter from my doctor and will keep you informed of my progress.getting the weight off has been difficult but i feel better and look better im told.if i ever need a medical again ill prepare myself better.
    ive currently got a window till 23rd december to improve my results but im hoping to be successful on this next letter

Having moved UK to Canada (and now Canada to NZ in next 12 months) I know they are looking for a good BMI (NZ site and other posts list the figures), a good waist measurement (also in other posts), the figure for the 3 (or 6 month) blood test to be under (hba1c) 7.0 (the magic under control number!) and cholesterol and blood pressure to be within a good range - and extra low cholesterol if you are diabetic (i.e. under 3 was the Canadian request)...
    I am guessing as the UK asked for this kind of results, Canada asked for them - NZ should follow suit (but happy to be corrected!)...
    I too will be submitting medicals shortly so I guess we'll see!

The very best of luck... I say try not to worry but it won't stop me!

Tigger.. Hoping to to NZ in 2011

I am interested very much in this topic also (unfortunatelly)...

So, HbA1C under 6,4 or under 7,0....

Hopefully I'll change that smilie above during next year...

Please, do upgrade the info if you are familiar or aware of it in any way:

DIABETICS:
    BMI - under 30
    HbA1C - under 7,0

I'm also type 2 and just submitted medical with ITA today. Tigger, we should compare notes when we hear news. My numbers are all very good so perhaps there is hope, I'll update when I hear something. I do have other issues that will likely go to the MA though.

Hi,
    I am a type one diabetic and have been insulin dependent for 40 years.
    I was referred to medical assessor but this is standard practice . Now my hba1c is always between 7 to 8, never any higher and they were happy with that but that was 4 years ago. If you type in Diabetes into search or diabetic and you will find previous threads on this subject but I have never known anyone turned down just because they were a diabetic unless there is some other complication linked to it like kidney problems.

update: my medical went to the MA and was sent back passed :-)
    well controlled type 2
    well managed high BP and cholesterol
    and minor cancer that is old history

Tui2too - well done! Good to hear the news

Tigger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast