Thread: How is the job market for teachers?

Default How is the job market for teachers?

I am a kiwi trained teacher (primary) returning with my US family (American hubby and three daughters) next year. When I was back in NZ a couple of years ago, I was offered several jobs the week I got back. I'm sure it's not quite that easy these days!

Are there any other returning kiwi trained teachers on the forum that can give me some insight into the primary teaching job market these days? We will be in the Auckland area luckily (as I know there are more there than anywhere else) - though I'd pick the Bay of Plenty if I could get a job!

Amy.

No answers for you but just to say good luck this time.......I remember reading your posts previousy before we arrived .

I'm a UK trained primary teacher and I LOVE teaching here. Am sure you will too once you find the right school for you.

Default Primary Teachers.

Sure you know to check www.edgazette.govt.nz
    Several jobs on there.

Yes - I've been checking the gazette - at this time of year jobs are pretty scarce though.

Auskiwi, can you give any information regarding the difference between teaching in the US compared to teaching in NZ? Did you teach while in the US?

I'm a primary teacher in NC, but was thinking about changing careers in NZ, possibly. I'd really be interested in any insights you have.

I teach secondary in Auckland, but I have over heard that in the next two years there should be a flood of primary teachers exiting uni, because of the current shortage. Now maybe better then later to move out here.

On the same note, does anyone know what the market is like for Secondary PE teachers in Christchurch? OH will be looking from April onwards and we've got our fingers crossed...

Magcats: I teach 3rd grade here in Oregon. One of the key differences is the lack of any formal curriculums in NZ - teaching in the US is a lot more text book oriented - somewhat prescriptive. In NZ it seems you are provided with the objectives to cover at each grade level, but how you get these objectives covered is left up to the teacher to some extent. I'm sure it varies from school to school (like anywhere). I have enjoyed having such readily available resources etc here in the U.S, but have missed the creativity that I could put to use in NZ. What grade do you teach in NC?