Thread: Moving to Wellington - what suburb?

Default Moving to Wellington - what suburb?

I've been in Tauranga about 6 weeks, and, well, quite frankly, I've run out of things to do, and it's very hard to make friends in a town filled with retirees, and I'm hoping to move to a hipper city - one NOT designed for raising a family.

I've been given the green light to telecommute, so I can live anywhere in Wellington. Te Aro's ideal, but pricy as heck - what I'm really looking forward to is kind of a hip neighborhood without tons of crime or drug addicts.

Can you guys give me the rundown? And it looks like I'll be moving without having a fixed place to live - that's fine, I can spend a few nights in a hostel, but I really need Internet for my work. Where can I find Internet wi-fi connections?

-- Brian.

There are no neighborhoods in Wellington with tons of crime or drug addicts, so you don't need to worry about that. There are also no good neighborhoods that aren't pricey. You might want to look at Newtown.

Hello and welcome.

What's your definition of expensive?

If you're looking for something hip, I'd try to get into an area within walking or easy cab ride from town, such as Mt Vic, Thorndon, Kelburn, or Te Aro/Aro Valley as you mentioned.

Mt Vic is my preferred place. Pricewise you're looking at min $150/wk for a decent room. If you want your own place, that's going to get pretty pricey anywhere.

Aro Vally tends to get damper and colder because it's on the shady side of the hill.

Shoot me a PM if you've got other Welly questions.

Kelburn! woo!