Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medical Waiver Declined

I'm so sorry, such bad news.

Thanks everyone, just had to break the news to my OH when he got home from work. Shellshocked really! We knew from the start we would have to be referred to MA, but even our agent said that we should not have a problem with the waiver. Seems they have pretty much made their mind up based on the possibility of my daughter potentially needing stronger meds (TNF inhibitors) despite the fact at the time she had been in remission for over 2yrs! Her consultant said it would be highly unlikely that these would be needed as she always responded well to a relatively low dose Methotrexate (a drug that costs £2.60 a month including dispensing costs at her usual dose). I understand that obviously there are other costs involved such as consultant visits and blood tests that do add to the overall cost that immigration are concerned about. I know that we can appeal as have been sent the info, but makes me wonder whether it will be successful at all since during the last few weeks my daughter has relapsed and been put back on the methotrexate!

From the immigration managers comments, we have lost brownie points for not having family in NZ and not having visited, and also for not having a job offer in place (not for the want of trying I might add, its the usual catch 22 thing!). So if we had a job offer, perhaps the waiver would have been granted. For everything else, his comments were quite positive. Despite recognising our skills & experience in absolute skills shortage area...it seems it is the wrong area for them to reconsider their decision.

Rant over for now...Think I need a beer.................

is that it then or can you appeal?

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    is that it then or can you appeal?
    we can appeal, think its NZ$700. Have been on the website but need to find out more info from the agent too as he will be acting on our behalf if we do.

good luck guys from all the vics

So sorry for you - good luck with appealing if you decide to give it a go.

Could you give yourself some brownie points by coming over on 6 month visitor permits and jobhunting madly? (otherwise l completely agree catch-22). You could then get work permits (allowing your daughter to stay in the country as your dependent) while you collect evidence / make a case for your appeal. It's how we managed it although I realise it's not for everyone.

Very sorry to hear your news. We hope you manage to sort things out for you and your famiy.
    Best wishes dianne and cox

Hey,

We are in the same position with our waiver being denied because of high costs for a condition called PKU, which my fiance (male) has.

Katieben - I was wondering how you managed to get out to NZ and get evidence/ get going before appealing through the residency board, as i thought there is a strict deadline to appeal the decision or not.

We would be looking into getting a temp visa to get my fiance here and then take on the appeal, but we are worried about timing.

Apologies Katieben - would have PM you but can't seem to do it.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cregganrover View Post
    Apologies Katieben - would have PM you but can't seem to do it.
    You have to have a certain number of posts before you can PM. I heard it was 5

Quote Originally Posted by cregganrover View Post
    Katieben - I was wondering how you managed to get out to NZ and get evidence/ get going before appealing through the residency board, as i thought there is a strict deadline to appeal the decision or not.
    We weren't as far as the medical waiver stage - the initial and second MAs' decisions were no, but we were allowed to send more evidence prior to the application being decided. We asked for a delay in the application decision and then came out here with me on a 1 year work visa and my husband/kids on the standard 6 month visitor permit.

Had we had to apply for the medical waiver we'd have run into problems with their visitor permits expiring and them having to go back to the UK, we were lucky.

And yes, it's 5 posts before you can use the PM system.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast