Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autumn is here ...

Default Autumn is here ...

Hi all

I love autumn and chuffed that its on its way to Chch . In our house that usually means a gammon roast with red cabbage and apples but I can't find a gammon roast. I asked in a butchers the other day and the shop assistant looked at me like I was a little odd, lol.

Can anyone help?

Ta Liz

Cant help as to where to get it from but some of the Kiwi's who Clare works with commented that on their OE they didn't know what Gammon was on the menus so ordered it expecting some sort of Game bird

Funnily enough I got my hair cut today and that's what the stylist said too, lol. There's a really nice deli near us and I'll try there tomorrow.

Try pickled pork if you fancy a change from a roast. Very Autumn, and goes well with cabbage and apple sauce, and soda bread too.

Our Pak n Save usually has joints of 'boiling bacon' alongside the silverside and pickled pork. Hits the spot with me anyway Just cook to your liking, boiled or baked, I like mine done in the slow cooker until it falls apart. Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by Ngeru View Post
    Our Pak n Save ...
    Sorry, but ick! Find a good butcher and make friends - you'll be amazed by the difference.

Yeah, they don't call it gammon here - my husband says it's called cured ham, but he was half asleep when I just asked him...

Gammon? Yea I have no idea. I'm assuming by the comments that it's some kind of pork thing.

came across this link - http://www.pork.co.nz/AboutPork/100NZBacon.aspx - which says "Not readily available in New Zealand but sometimes mentioned in recipes is gammon which is bacon taken from the leg."

would be interested to hear what is the 'alternative' to gammon here.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter&Liz View Post
    Hi all

I love autumn and chuffed that its on its way to Chch . In our house that usually means a gammon roast with red cabbage and apples but I can't find a gammon roast. I asked in a butchers the other day and the shop assistant looked at me like I was a little odd, lol.

Can anyone help?

Ta Liz
    You can get gammon steaks but I have not seen gammon roast.

Print out a good definition and take it to a good butcher and see if they can do it for you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast