Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travel insurance

Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer2003 View Post
    I can arrange cover for you if you like. But my advice for an easy option would be to open a bank account plus with HSBC. You then get free travel insurance which covers you for upto 30 days in the States as well. Or check you current bank to see if they have a credit card with free travel insruance attached. If you want me to look into it personally for you then PM me. But the credit card option is a good one. I had to make claims on the HSBC one when my wife fell ill in south africa, all medial, accomidation costs were meet easily, they called every day offering assistance and when it was time to fly back they paid for us to fly business class back to the uk.

Tim
    Most travel insurance specifically doesn't cover emigration or one way tickets. All the credit card ones that I looked at had this exclusion (but it may have changed!).

If you still need insurance then you can also try Go Walkabout

Ian

Slight update/addition to this thread...

We currently have a family annual multi-trip policy with the Post Office, however since we took it out hubby has acquired some expensive toys that we would like to bring with us to NZ rather than shipping separately.

Does anyone know of decent travel insurance (one way!) that will cover around 4200 worth of laptop, digital SLR and lenses?

Most of those I've looked at are subject to a maximum claim limit of 2000, so even if we both took a policy outwe wouldn't quite be covered. Nearly though, but at a hefty cost. (obviously not as much as the cost of replacing those items without adequate insurance though..) I was hoping that DD and I could travel on the existing policy and hubby on something new though. Hmmm.

As an additional complication, we're also travelling to France for a week soon (to see my mum's family) - before the journey to NZ starts - and would very much like to take the camera there too.. but most of the decent-looking emigration policies don't allow for a non-stopover like that!

Are we just being too awkward?

I would find a local broker and discuss your options. Insurance in each country has different rules and most travel insurance must be taken out in the country of origin.

There is also Go walkabout. We covered the whole family, baggage and overnights in London & Singapore, plus cover for a couple of days on landing for 125, a little more expensive because of some minor medical issues.

It's also worth checking out some premium credit card coverages.

For example my Amex Platinum card has already covered 800 for a new cover and LCD panel for a Macbook Air (it was dropped in Namibia and the cover bent a bit in a corner). When British Airways managed to delay my luggage for 10 days, we received 1600 (it was just one bag but the coverage is for everyone travelling) to cover the purchases and gracious $200 from American Airlines. BA didn't take any responsibility although we travelled in Club World.

There are moments when I wish my luggage will be delayed for more than 48 hours (400 / person after the first 4 hours, another 400 /person after 48 hours)

Thanks petri, I'll check that out - we have a bmi Amex plus card that might come with similar cover, though as our annual fee comes up for renewal next month I was actually planning to warn them of impending cancellation tomorrow!!

In a similar vein, my brother has suggested house insurance. Coincidentally our building & contents insurance expires the very day we land on NZ however it does cover specified items (the laptop has been specified to its value already) and also other items up to 1500 each (which would cover the camera gear).

This would definitely cover us for the France trip, however we're not so sure about Australia & NZ due to the words:

temporarily removed to anywhere in the rest of the world for up to 60 consecutive days
    (my emphasis)

Is that too dicey?? All our mail will be redirected to my parents' address for a good while, so any correspondance would be picked up. We also fully intend to return to the UK some day, um, on holiday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12