Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel insurance

Default Travel insurance

Two part question!

- Who sells good one-way insurance? (esp from the UK)
    I used to see it on the Post Office website, but now it's vanished.. or I'm daft and missed it

- Does anyone sell an annual multi-trip policy that would also cover a one-way trip to NZ?
    We're planning trips to Ireland and France in the next few months, so if I could combine it in one that'd be great. Also planning a stopover in Sydney on the way to NZ.

Thanks for any help

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    Two part question!

- Who sells good one-way insurance? (esp from the UK)
    I used to see it on the Post Office website, but now it's vanished.. or I'm daft and missed it

If you look at the single trip travel insurance policy wording it says the following:
    One-Way Cover
    This insurance is designed to cover a round trip which starts and finishes at your home in the United Kingdom. It will also provide cover for one-way trips of up to a maximum of 17 days duration, for the purpose of emigration only. The insurance will be restricted to the cover and conditions that would have applied if you had arranged to return to the United Kingdom at the end of the period of insurance.
    So, yes it is still covered.

Ian

Aha! Thank you Muggins here clearly did not look hard enough!

Expensive though. Coming up at £66 for just me. All I need it for is the US healthcare when I'm in transit so I can't see why it's more than we paid for the two of us with hazardous activities for 5 weeks 2 years ago!

It must be the US part then - £99 for an multi-trip family policy (excluding US, Canada & Caribbean) for all 3 of us!

Found a few other options that bring it down to under £50 for me, but with much higher cover.

go-packpacking and P J Hayman.

Hi Sophie,
    Have you tried Columbus? I used to get their annual multi-trip policy and I made several trips to the States every year.
    Bridget

I don't need (or want) to go via the US - that was Duncan - but I will check them out. Thank you, monkey

We used direct travel (direct-travel.co.uk) which was about £30 for a 5 or 6 day one way policy (non-US cover) for a family of 4 with 2 minor medical issues to be covered (we had to have a slightly more expensive policy to cover it). If you have trouble with your medical side, make sure you speak to their medical assessor - they were refusing to cover one of our children's problem until I spoke directly to the medical assessor and then it all went away.

You have to ring them to get an (e)immigration policy though - they don't do it online.

I can arrange cover for you if you like. But my advice for an easy option would be to open a bank account plus with HSBC. You then get free travel insurance which covers you for upto 30 days in the States as well. Or check you current bank to see if they have a credit card with free travel insruance attached. If you want me to look into it personally for you then PM me. But the credit card option is a good one. I had to make claims on the HSBC one when my wife fell ill in south africa, all medial, accomidation costs were meet easily, they called every day offering assistance and when it was time to fly back they paid for us to fly business class back to the uk.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast