Thread: Things to do in Christchurch?

Default Things to do in Christchurch?

Hi all,

I will be heading to Christchurch for work for 5 days and am dragging the family with me.

Hubby and 2 boys (aged 2 and 4) will be looking for stuff to do while I am sitting in a conference centre - so far we have not come up with much!

Things they will be doing are the Orana Wildlife Park and the Science Alive centre - but that's not going to fill 5 days. Any suggestions for somewhere else to visit?

They'll have the car so could go further afield for day trips if there's anywhere good.

Thanks for any ideas.

We enjoyed the antarctic centre just by the airport, but 2&4 may be a bit young (don't have kids, so never sure about ages).

The Kiwi experience in the centre of ChCh was a major disapointment and comparatively expensive.

If the weather is good Hagley Park is great for kids and take their togs for the splash pool. If you have a car Sumner Beach is also great with wee rock pools and caves for little ones to explore Nice beaches too a bit north of Christchurch like Woodend and Waikuku and Spencer Park has heaps of stuff for kids too

Hope you have a great time

Karenx

There is loads and loads to do with lil uns ...

Orana Zoo is definately worth a visit - as is Willowbank

Ferrymead is good too - although Sat and Suns are best as some things aren't open / working on week days.

In Christchurch - double up a trip around the Botanic Gardens, with a wander around Canterbury museum. We went a few weeks ago and in the glass houses in the gardens, they were displaying "killer plants" which my two (aged 3 and 6) loved.

Also in Christchurch - visit the Art museum ... it's free, and there are a few interactive bits the kids like. Also can go into the Cathedral for free.

Trip up the Gondola ... you can walk down, although might be a little too far for yours - my 3 year old just managed it recently.

Science museum is good - save for a rainy day.

Beaches - all are great. Sumner is nice as there's a cafe on the beach so you can have coffee whilst supervising sandcastle making. Also like New Brighton as nice family friendly cafe just by the pier.

Will come back if I can think of anything else ... there is loads to do as you can see!

I think the Antarctic Centre would be fine. They have a cold room where you dress up in all the gear and a ride in a Haglund off-road vehicle and they have penguins too now, I believe.

There is Clip 'n' Climb indoor climbing. Not sure about 2 YO but 4 YO might enjoy.

Tram ride around the centre could be fun.

Airforce Museum at Wigram (free).

Jelly Park swimming and hydroslides (slides are outdoor)

QE2 swimming and hydroslides (all indoor)