Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At last things are happening, but what to do

Default At last things are happening, but what to do

wow!! My husband has been offered another job now in a place called Kawerau. It is near Whakatane I think. So he is going to visit the one in Mt. Maunganui and then the most recent offer is for a shop floor manager for $200 per week more than the other one.
    The only problem is there is nothing in Whakatane for our two children, they are aged 21 and 18, so the only option we have is living in Tauranga and my OH living in Kawerau renting something cheap and commuting home at weekends to Tauranga, but I guess this will only work if the offer is more than $200 per week. He would be spending more out and it would need to be worth it.
    Or maybe he should just take the job in Mt. Maunganui as it looks like it has more to offer overall. I guess if you have no kids it would be lovely to live in Whakatane.
    Does anyone know of any houses to rent in Mt. Maunganui from early May 2010?

just to say congratulations, you are managing options

That's great! Congratulations to him on the two job offers! Mount Maunganui would keep the family all together. But the best thing to do is write it out on paper weighing the pros and cons of either job. And then forget that and do what your heart tells you...keeping in mind what your mind tells you at the same time.

I'm no help at all! Congratulations, anyway, though!!!

I visited Kawerau last weekend and boy is it hot! I thought it was a neat town and could happily live there if I didn't love Rotorua so much!

Not much for your kids to do though unless they want to get into white water rafting (awesome river there).

Have you thought about living in Rotorua? It's 60km from Kawerau, a lot of people do the commute and it would mean staying together as a family.

Rotorua has heaps going for it (my husband and I moved here last year and wished we'd moved her much sooner!).

We have Waiariki Institute of Techonology if they want to continue studying and there are plenty of employment options.
    As for what there is to do - mountainbiking, walking/running or horse riding in the forest (over 100km of trails), there are all manner of sports clubs, creative arts (Rotorua Arts Village Experience - RAVE) and service clubs to get involved with.

We also have lots of lakes and associated water sports.

Renting is cheap and buying property is also (much better value for money than in Tauranga/Mount Maunganui - we bought a 4 bedroom house on 1100sqm for $240k, add another $110k for Tauranga).

If your children are a deciding factor could you expand on what they're into and why Whakatane wouldn't be right for them and why the Mount would be?

Alison

Congratulations!

thats brill congrats!!

If your children are a deciding factor could you expand on what they're into and why Whakatane wouldn't be right for them and why the Mount would be?
    Would it have something to do with perhaps less night life.? I remember Whakatane in the 60's what a beautiful quiet place,if you are into beaches, Ohope was incredible, but all these years later it too has got BUSY.

trying to manage the options. cheers.

Cheers, yeah we have written stuff down. It's a difficult one, as money has always been short for us. However I know that money is not the be all and end all. We have made wrong decisions before, so I just want to make the right one for us all.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern01 View Post
    Would it have something to do with perhaps less night life.? I remember Whakatane in the 60's what a beautiful quiet place,if you are into beaches, Ohope was incredible, but all these years later it too has got BUSY.
    yeah, it is a factor. Obviously if it was just myself and my OH we wouldn't have to think about the night life. It's having the option to go out if they want to.
    They live in Manchester so there are alot of clubs. Also in Tauranga there does appear to be more educational options for them.
    Thanks, I guess time will tell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast