Thread: Do I need NZQA or not? (another NZQA stress thread)

Default Do I need NZQA or not? (another NZQA stress thread)

Hi,

I would like to ask if my interpretation of getting an NZQA assessment is correct or not. Well actually I already had mine assessed with fast track option, its been 6 months and I don't see any real progress. So I am trying to relook again at 1080.pdf (List of Recognized Qualifications).

It wasn't that clear for me 6 months ago, but my decision was to take the assessment. I wanted to make sure that I do everything possible for our application, it doesn't hurt, apart from the payment. Now it seems to hurt, since we are invited for a "Work to Residence" visa already, still with no NZQA. NZIS is waiting for it. Me and my wife is already stressed out and feel very helpless. It also seems that NZQA is only sending out letters after every 2 months, then after 10 months they will just issue a none compatible report. I have asked several times our NZQA officer if he was able to get into contact with the 3rd party by other communication means (fax, email, phone, etc.), he neither confirms or denies it. I even gave all the contact details to my university, which even includes an online verification. We feel so terrible thinking that we are dependent on a 3rd party and on someone doesn't seem to put an effort to contact the 3rd party.

Right now I am relooking at the 1080 document, since someone told me that I don't need NZQA. Can someone give their opinion in interpreting page 12? I am from the Philippines and have a bachelor of science degree, graduate from De La Salle University, Manila. Do I need an NZQA? It says "Masters degrees, PhDs and graduate and post-graduate diplomas from these institutions require NZQA assessment", my first interpretation is graduate covers bachelors degrees. Although rereading it now maybe it doesn't need it. It also seems odd that the top schools require NZQA, while others just base on the grade point average. In fact I even have high grades, well over the required 85% grade point of the other schools. Can someone please give their opinion if I need NZQA assessment based from page 12 of 1080 document? Thanks very much for your help.

Hi jkyamog,

I would contact NZIS about this, seems they are the place to find out if you will need NZQA verification for the work permit.
    In our case, we are from Holland, going for the Skilled Migrant category, we need it, no question about it.
    I'm pretty sure at NZIS they can tell you if you need to have your diploma's compared to the NZ education system in your case.

Good luck
    Hannah

Thanks Hannah,

I haven't contacted NZIS in terms of asking them if I still do really need it. I imagine that my visa officer has lots and lots of application he is working on. However on my EOI for Skilled Migrant I did submit a preliminary NZQA report, which then leads to a NZQA full assessment for ITA. I waited until the near deadline of my ITA, then someone in NZIS told me to just submit the ITA without NZQA report. We had finished our interview, during the interview the visa officer said that this should not be a big issue. Although he did say to just wait for the report before thinking of alternatives. Now that we have our invitation for Work To Residence, NZIS is still asking for the NZQA report.

I will contact NZIS shortly if more people think that on their opinion that I misinterpreted it the first time. I would not like to bother our visa officer for an interpretation issue as of this time.

2 people had told me in several private message exchanges that I do not need NZQA full assessment. I made a mistake in my first interpretation. Since I hold a bachelors degree and have studied at De La Salle University, Manila the first paragraph on page 12 will cover me already.

Anyone else care to share their opinion? I plan to bug my visa officer about tomorrow.

The application for residence guide I got last week with my ITA (para-phrased a bit) says

if your qualification does not appear on the list (NZIS 1080) you need to provide a NZQA preliminary assesment AND If you have claimed points based on a Preliminary assesment you need to provide a full assesment

However I think you can be too exact! I noticed that my college was in the list, but it had a different name than when I was there (it has another name now!) To be safe when I did my EOI I paniced a bit and I got a prelim report. Now that I've had time to think it over and read everything carefully my qualification is on the list even though my college isnt so I wont be getting a full assesment and (fingers crossed) I should be OK

So basically its all down to the list of recognised qualifications (NZIS 1080) and if you can be clear in your mind and documentation that what you have is in there. If you cant convince yourself you wont convince anyone else.

Hope that was helpful, Good luck

Boz

I have emailed my visa officer, still no reply. I have told them that I have made a mistake and they have probably overlooked that my qualification is a recognized qualification and should NOT need NZQA.

I followed up again today, I hope we got some reply so we can get some sleep. We really want to submit this application so our WTR through SMC can be finished and we can finally go to NZ.

Default piece of advise

Hi,

You sure don't need an NZQA since your school is included in the List of Recognized Qualification. I studied in UST and the vo did not require me to submit an assessment.

If I were you, I would call the visa officer and inform him that you don't need the NZQA. Or email him quoting that portion in the guide.

If you need more help, you can PM chuchi, she had the same experience.

May I know the name of your visa officer?

Good luck!

Thanks beah.

I have emailed the VO about 2 days ago to confirm that I don't need NZQA. I will just have to wait then.

NZIS has finally confirmed to us that we do not need NZQA evaluation.... yahoo.... now I can finally apply our WTR through SMC.