Thread: Container space available LA to Auckland

Default Container space available LA to Auckland

If you are moving from the USA to Auckland (or North Island), we have a container going out this month and have empty space...

We finally got our 6x10 trailer to Carson CA where it and another trailer and some boxes and furniture will be packed by the packing and shipping company in a 40 foot container. We have about 14 feet of empty space and looking for folks wishing to ship stuff to New Zealand. If you are looking to move stuff, send me a private message. Tell me what you want to send, how big, etc. We'll figure out the shared cost and let you know. At present it still can fit a smaller car.

You will take or have your stuff delivered to a bonded warehouse in Carson CA (about 15 miles from the port) where they pack it into a 40 foot container along with our stuff. It will arrive in Auckland and be delivered to another bonded warehouse for devanning. I plan to clear our own stuff, and if you want to join me, I can show you how to get the clearance papers... it's not very complicated, just have the paperwork and go to MAF on the ground floor and Customs above. Alternatively you can pay a customs clearance agent. As an immigrant there is usually no duty. They give you the right papers and you can go to the bonded warehouse and pick your stuff up, or arrange for a truck to take it to your home or storage place. In order to avoid a large MAF decontamination cost, make sure there are no critters, such as spiders (or even cobwebs) in your stuff. I found a few cobwebs in the undercarriage of our trailer. Flyspray and a vacuum cleaner will do the trick as long as you get everything.

If you have a lot of stuff and want to save money, consider buying an enclosed cargo trailer. We bought two 6 x 10 footers, new from Home Depot, packed everything far more carefully than professionals might, and filled it like a jigsaw puzzle. When it arrives we don't need to hire a truck to deliver our stuff, just go to the warehouse, tow it home and unpack at our leisure... and have a trailer to haul all the cardboard and bubble wrap to the recycling center. Even paying the customs duty on it when it gets to NZ, we will get our money back and more because trailers sell for more... see trademe.co.nz for prices. Also, I was told that if we send the shipping manifest to Home Depot showing that the trailer was shipped overseas, they will refund the Arizona sales tax we paid. Haven't tried it yet.

Default Container space available LA to Auckland

Correction: Container will be going out in April, not this month.

Quote Originally Posted by villager View Post

If you have a lot of stuff and want to save money, consider buying an enclosed cargo trailer. We bought two 6 x 10 footers, new from Home Depot, packed everything far more carefully than professionals might, and filled it like a jigsaw puzzle. When it arrives we don't need to hire a truck to deliver our stuff, just go to the warehouse, tow it home and unpack at our leisure... and have a trailer to haul all the cardboard and bubble wrap to the recycling center. Even paying the customs duty on it when it gets to NZ, we will get our money back and more because trailers sell for more... see trademe.co.nz for prices. Also, I was told that if we send the shipping manifest to Home Depot showing that the trailer was shipped overseas, they will refund the Arizona sales tax we paid. Haven't tried it yet.
    Excellent Idea!!!

Excellent Idea