Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jobs for clinical psychologists

Default jobs for clinical psychologists

Hi!
    I'm just wondering if there are jobs for clinical psychologists in Auckland. So far, I've only seen positions in forensic field. My husband and I are going to move there in July. Can anyone tell me if there are examinations or licenses that I must have in order to practice in NZ? If opportunities are limited, what other positions I can apply to - for example in universities and industries? I hope you can help me with this. I am excited in moving there for I heard NZ is a great place, I will be happier if I can work as well! Btw, I have MA in Clinical Psychology.

Many thanks for any reply!

Cy

I don't have an answer for you, but I wonder - do you have PR?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I don't have an answer for you, but I wonder - do you have PR?
    I only have work visa...

There seems to be a big shortage across the medical professions. Have you looked at the District Health Board websites? What sort of clinical psychologist are you? I'd be tempted to identify a team you are interested in and approach them directly.

Hi translate101.

First and foremost, welcome to the forum.

Well, 'back in the day', I was very keen to follow a career in psychology (either Clinical or Forensic) inspired predominately by the likes of Britton and Canter.

I had successfully completed year one of my Psychology degree back in the UK and was all set to continue here in NZ.

Alas, this was not possible in the end due to the increased cost of continuing my UK study, and what appeared at the time (in 2006) to be a severe lack of clinical positions.

I have now re-evaluated my life's path and decided to pursue my first love which is music.

Good luck with your quest to find a job. I'm sure a few positions will arise now and then, but I'm afraid you might find they are few and far between.

Default Psychologists

Hi translate101.
    Counties Manukau DHB is advertising for clinical psychologists but you will need to have your overseas qualification recognised in NZ and then arrange your Annual Practising Cert.
    It can be a lengthy process and the best advice is from the previous posters to check the Psychologists Board for details on how to have your qualification transferred.
    Good luck

I'm not impressed with how the Psychologist Board operates. I had an occasion to contact them because one of their colleagues breached the privacy laws of a 'client'. (There was no good reason for her to). Like so many other professions when a complaint is laid, they closed ranks. I got nowhere. No doubt I could have spent a lot of money proving the serious breach that had occured, but I shouldn't have to. There is good and bad in most things but when it comes to a person's well being I would have thought the Board would have operated fairly. I've never felt the same about this profession since.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern01 View Post
    I'm not impressed with how the Psychologist Board operates. I had an occasion to contact them because one of their colleagues breached the privacy laws of a 'client'. (There was no good reason for her to). Like so many other professions when a complaint is laid, they closed ranks. I got nowhere. No doubt I could have spent a lot of money proving the serious breach that had occured, but I shouldn't have to. There is good and bad in most things but when it comes to a person's well being I would have thought the Board would have operated fairly. I've never felt the same about this profession since.
    I would say that this particular issue isn't confined to the psychology board. I have seen it in action in several industries here in NZ. Openly done, too. I am not saying it isn't done in the US (it surely is--that is one corrupt place for sure), but at least in the US, they pretend to investigate.
    NZ has a reputation for being "least corrupt" but doesn't even pretend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast