Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What stores do you miss, and would still like to buy from?

Definately IKEA and the simplicity of ARGOS

If we must discuss the UK, then I don't miss the chain stores. Boring. I miss old style markets. Ham carved off the bone, cheese cut off a wheel, sweet stands with boxes of rhubarb and custard, butterscotch tablets, etc. Aah.

I miss Ikea and supermarket clothing (not the supermarket, just the clothing department)
    i also miss 2 particular internet stores that don't do worldwide delivery because we used to buy from them regularly.
    There are other things i miss but i think its more an issue of not knowing where to get things from rather than missing particular shops.

I miss Ikea- furniture, fittings, appliances and its fabulous foodmart.

The Bread Shop- Japanese concept bakery for its fantastic, creative breads that no NZ bakery has come close to matching.

Ya Kun- a breakfast of 2 boiled eggs, 2 kaya toast and sweetened tea or coffee costing only $3.80 which is the equivalent of a flat white here.

Watsons for their pharmaceuticals products.

Popeye- arguably making the best southern fried chicken with biscuits. KFC here is boring, slow and makes the smallest breasts I've ever seen.

I miss the shopping in Singapore because different malls have different concepts and shops and cater to a different type of clientele or market. Here all the malls and shops are generic and it seems the people too.

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    Here all the malls and shops are generic and it seems the people too.
    I've seen far more independent shops so far here than in most UK towns. I don't quite understand the link between chain shops and how individualist the population is either.

one westfield looks and feels the same as another no matter where you are. it is generic and the shops are all the same.

Waterstones for the book deals
    M&S for the food (but my dad posts me Percy Pigs every so often)
    Boots for the advantage card deals!

Wold rather shop at Tesco than any of the supermarkets here but since I now have a local countdown instead of only a dismal pak n slave I'm much happier.

Mostly M&S and Next for the food and clothes ..........

I guess Ikea would be nice for furniture too

Sharon
    x

A lot of people missing Ikea. We just imported a kitchen and some other furniture from Ikea in Sydney. Even with shipping and duty costs, it was still substantially cheaper than the equivalent here (if you could find an equivalent here).

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Bally Bee View Post
    Wold rather shop at Tesco than any of the supermarkets here.
    Funny how people have completely different views on this. I find the majority of supermarkets here infinitely better than Tesco. British supermarkets seem to be very focused on ready meals but have a pretty poor selection of good quality, fresh ingredients. It's the opposite here. Tesco is good for non-food stuff though.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast