Thread: Microsoft MCSE Certification

Default Microsoft MCSE Certification

Hi Folks,
    I am new to the forum and I have a question that is bugging me...

Can anyone clarify once and for all if Microsoft certifications are vaild to give you those magic 50 points on the EOI form?
    Myself, my wife, and the 2 kids are looking to apply for a PR asap.

I have 9 years experience in IT and the following qualifications...

MCSE Windows NT4
    MCSE Windows 2000
    MCSE Windows 2003 +Messaging (Exchange 2003)
    MCDST - (Windows XP)
    MCT - Microsoft Certified Trainer.

I have heard many different stories, does anyone have any hard facts to back it up?

In addition I have a job offer in Auckland but it is only for $48k which isnt enough to live on - besides we are more interested in Wellington / Christchurh.

Any and all help gladly received.
    Many Thanks

Tee&Dee

Hi Tee&Dee

Welcome to the forum....

I would suggest that you ring the NZQA direct..think number is 0064 4 802 3000, but may need to check on the www.nzqa.govt.nz website, look under International qualifications verification. The staff there are very friendly, and helpful over the phone .

Hope they are able to help you, check out the website too.

Good Luck!

regards
    Fraser

Hello Tee & Dee

Welcome to the forum.

From what I know they are looking for degrees or at best Gity & Guilds type qualifications, as long as they are encompassed with the relevant apprentiships and work experience.

IT is on the occupation shortage in various guises and they are now, at last, recognising experience.

I would agree to contact the NZQA to have one of your qualifications assessed for immigration purposes and take it from there.

I've just had my NVQ level 3 assessed at level 4, which gives us an additional 10 points (my partner is the principal applicant). At the very worst you could take one of these (which I'm sure you would more than sail through) and with your work experience this should give you the points you need.

PS - if you've got a job offer this gives you the points you need.

Good Luck

Keith & Debby

Thanks for the replies folks.
    Well I have followed suggestions and submitted a pre-assessment application for my main qualification MCSE 2003 being the latest biggie.

I also have a HND in a technology related subject (Music Production Technology) not exactlt directly related but maybe something else to fall back on.

Last point of the evening, I mentioned that I have a job offer in Auckland which sense tells me wouldnt pay the bills - however whats the situation regarding using the firm job offer to fulfill the requirements for the application and then taking a different job somewhere else. i.e. - Wellington, Christchurch, Etc.

Once again thanks for the posts

Tone and Dee

Default MCSE

Hi Tee & Dee,

Forget the NZQA, I went through the exact same issue last year

Your right about a couple of things, firstly $48k in Auckland is nowhere near enough to live on, unless you have a huge amount of equity and no mortage or you have 2 salarys. I think we'll be tight on $60K, I plan to change jobs and go for something around $75K.

I also have a pile of microsoft certifications, (MCSES on NT, 2K, 2003) in addtion to Cisco and Citrix certifications. All of these earned me 0 points on my application last year. (I've been out here 2 weeks).

Vendor certification does not earn points for the simple reason, that while people like you and me did it the hard way, there are huge numbers of people who cheat on these exams. There are too many Troytechs, or Exactquestions.com sites out there that will give you the questions that are going to be on the exam. If you are willing to spend $200 and 1 month learning questions, you could get through an MCSE without ever having touched a server. Sad but true.

This is to stop huge numbers of people coming out with paper qualifications and no real skills, I once hired a guy from south africa in the uk with a mcse to do a systems admin job, I was shocked at his lack of skills.

On the plus side, you should still be able to put together 100 points for your EOI, your skills are on the long term skill shortage, and the current priority list. You can claim points in both categories. The job offer you have is not enough to live on, but it is worth 50 points. Remeber you only need to stay in that job for 12 weeks after you get PR. After that you'll be free to do what ever you want. Add that to points for your age and english skills, and you'll get to 100 without to many probs. 12 weeks is nothing.

We were lucky that I also had a computer science degree to boost our totals.

It's really nice out here, I'm sure you'll like it.

Default HND

Just noticed you had a HND, doesn't matter that it's not related to what you do, you get points for it.

We claimed points for Sals Post Grad qualification in teaching, but she's never set foot in a class in anger. It doesn't matter they really like qualifications