Thread: NZQA Pre-assessment process

Default NZQA Pre-assessment process

Folks

Can anyone shed any light on how the NZQA go about performing a pre-assessment ?

In particular your experiences regarding how long it took, and what they actually do to assess it - i.e. do they contact educational institutions / past employers, or is that something done during full assessment / ITA.

Thanks
    T

I don't think pre-assessment goes into contacting 3rd parties. They seem to just look at your credentials and based from that they make a judgement. My preassessment took about a week or less. My full assessment is now 6 months old... and still going.

Hi Tee,

I agree with jkyamog, Pre-lims seem to be an estimate - but the full assessment contacts the relevant bodies (as Hannah-NL can show).

If the pre-lim comes back OK and you think you definitely want to put in an ITA (after the EOI), you should commence the full assessment process ASAP.

My case is currently running at 6 weeks since despatch of docs to NZQA. I have had the originals back so I know they are dealing with it. I'm hoping mine will be fairly straightforward, as it's just one organisation to contact and they have a sister affiliate in NZ (although expect they will contact the UK one direct.)

We're looking at getting to NZ in 2006, so I'm not going to stress too much yet. NZIS could still say NO (had a phone interview with them last week) and then there are the joys of trying to sell a house in a falling market. Great Joy.

Anybody remember that VW ad????

Ria

So "Dumb Question" am I right in thinking that in order to complete the ITA a full assessment must be done?

Is that instigated by the return of the ITA documents or is it something I would do before returning my ITA.

Thanks
    T

Hi Tee,

We're going for the Skilled Migrant category so I can only speak about that. I would say, start the full assesment with NZQA before you lodge your EOI and get your ITA, NZIS will only accept fulls assesments anyway. NZQA will contact the schools, in our case it was only one as far as we can see from their report :? That was one that they used a wrong adress for, which caused some delay, because their enquiry ended up at the wrong adress, they had moved and merged and had a name change. We had sent them the right adress, but in some way they had sent off to the wrong adress anyway. So it's not just at the end of the NZQA that it can take some time. The school(s) have to report back and if they don't, NZQA will be waiting a while too. And then maybe resend, or contact you again, but you cannot do anything else when the verification process has already started. So take my advise, check if your schools and institutes are still "alive" and there where they were when you got your diploma's!

Ok, so the first shot at NZQA pre-assessment didnt go so well.

Despite my Microsoft qualifications (and the experience to back them up) being on the skills shortage list - Microsoft is not a recognised tertiary education provider.

So it looks like time to try the HND !

Hopefully this will have more success - I know I could line up a job to get in (Microsoft Trainers are in short supply) but part of me would prefer to go in with a PR rather than hope to get one once Im in.

So if anyone has either successfully (or even unsuccessfully) had their HND's pre assessed by the NZQA feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers guys
    Tee