Thread: No Immigration for People W/ Chronic Illnesses?

Default No Immigration for People W/ Chronic Illnesses?

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is enjoying the beginning of spring or fall!

I've got a question about medical conditions and immigration. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis back in October. Will this automatically disqualify me? It is a condition that will need treatment for the rest of my life.

Also, does this usually apply in other countries such as Canada or in the EU?

Thanks everyone!

Here's the link to the conditions which are an automatic 'no' unless the person can get a medical waiver (and that's another point to consider). As you will see, in your case it is likely to depend on what treatment you are having.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/index.htm

Appendix 10 to the Ops Manual is key. These illnesses automatically mean a waiver would be required.

But also be aware that a lifetime cost of treatment expectation of NZ$25,000 would mean you do not have an Acceptable Standard of Health and would require a waiver. Obviously for a chronic condition (even if relatively benign) you could bump into that.

That doesn't mean it can't be beat, but may require legal assistance or to get a waiver (based on net benefit to NZ), family in NZ, and a few other items

Medical conditions from Appendix 10

* HIV infection
    * Hepatitis B surface antigen positive, with abnormal liver function
    * Hepatitis C, RNA positive, with abnormal liver function
    * Malignancies of solid organs and haematopoietic tissue, including past history of, or currently under treatment

Exceptions are:
    1. treated minor skin malignancies (not melanoma)
    2. malignancies where the interval since treatment is such that the probability of cure is > 90%, e.g.: early stage (I & IIA) breast cancer at 5 years; low risk prostate cancer at 5 years; early stage (Dukes A & B1) colorectal cancer at 5 years; childhood leukaemia at 5 years
    * Solid organ transplants, excluding corneal grafts more than 6 months old
    * Chronic renal failure or progressive renal disorders
    * Diseases or disorders such as osteoarthritis with a high probability of arthroplasty in the next four years
    * Central Nervous System disease, including motor neurone disease, complex partial seizures, poorly controlled epilepsy, prion disease, Alzheimer's and other dementia, and including paraplegia and quadriplegia
    * Cardiac disease including ischaemic heart disease, cardiomyopathy or valve disease requiring surgical and/or other procedural intervention
    * Chronic obstructive respiratory disease with limited exercise tolerance and requiring oxygen
    * Genetic or congenital disorders: muscular dystrophies, cystic fibrosis, thalassaemia major, sickle cell anaemia if more than one sickle crisis in 4 years, severe haemophilia, and severe primary immunodeficiencies
    * Severe autoimmune disease, currently being treated with immuno-suppressants other than prednisone
    * In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe (71-90 decibels) hearing loss or profound bilateral sensori-neural hearing loss
    * In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe vision impairment with visual acuity of 6/36 or beyond after best possible correction, or a loss restricting the field of vision to 15-20 degrees
    * In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe physical disability, where they are unable to stand and walk without support, and cannot independently dress, eat, hold a cup, or maintain their stability when sitting.

Simulpost of the same info, there, I see.

Thank you so much for the replies.

I think that this might 'cross' me out. I am scheduled to start taking methotrexate, which is an immunosupressive. RA tends to be progressive, so they might frown on that.

I really don't have any other checks in the plus column to offset that. I'm in school to earn a BS in environmental science; my OH is an excellent truck driver. That's about it...

So sorry to hear that.