Thread: MAF/removal costs for container and car?

Default MAF/removal costs for container and car?

Our container is arriving soon in Wellington. The removal company being used at this end would like us to pay $280 for the MAF inspection of the car (not including any necessary cleaning or anything, just the inspection) and $530 for MAF document/inspection fees for the container (40 ft). We have spoken to MAF and their charges do not appear to be this high, and we have a very strong feeling that we are being asked to pay too much.
    For the car compliance check we are being charged $450 plus GST and then registration etc.
    If anyone with recent experience of bringing in a container and/or a car would like to offer advice on this it would be much appreciated. I remember reading threads about this before so off to search for further advice!
    Thanks very much.

All I can say is that the horror stories are all true!

Our NZ end movers charged big up front charges for MAF that didn't align with what MAF charged but it was our tough luck. I fought with them but never made it anywhere. The basically just hold your stuff ransom.

I highly recommend door to port shipping to everyone for this very reason. You just have no leverage with the NZ company if you don't have a contract with them.

Good luck sorting this out.

This may sound v silly but what do you mean by door to port shipping to stop these charges ?
    I presumed that when you packed the lorry off from the UK it went straight to the port of your choice, you then had the option of door to door delivery and unpacking or storage if you weren't ready for it.
    What do I need to be more aware of ?
    Many thanks

The problem is many shipping agents you choose in the overseas company have agreements with local NZ shipping agents. So it's not like you choose ABC Shipping from the UK and assume you will have to sort out brokerage/clearance details at the NZ end - they most likely have someone appointed that can easily name the terms of the costs.

Believe me, the costs of the handling fees is the last of your concern. It's dealing with MAF that can be a mega problem because quite often, you have no way of knowing how well cared for the container has been during packing and in transit.

MAF does inspection at a sealed quarantine zone. If they find that the container had sweated a lot (ie. a tropical cruise around east asia) and finds your vehicle has mold growth on the upholstery, expect more costs. You will have to pay for the cleaning of the vehicle, methyl bromide treatment, + a 2nd MAF inspection.

I think you may be too late at choosing a different NZ broker if they've already invoiced you. Normally, you could appoint a different broker PRIOR to the container arriving.