Thread: Queenstown

Smile Queenstown

Hi :-)

I'm moving down to Queenstown for the winter season as of the 16th May and my friend and I were wondering if anyone could give us any advise on the good areas to live in the town? We're both hoping on getting jobs (hopefully evening ones) so would need somewhere reasonably easy to get back to in the evenings (and obviously not tooo far from where we can get transport up the mountains as that's where we plan on spending as much time as possible). Also I've heard from people who spent the season there last year that rent is pretty expensive? And finally...any advise on the best place to look to find a place to rent?

Cheers Rach

Hello and welcome.

Hiya! You could try a look at the classifieds and property section in Queenstown's Scene website:
    http://www.scene.co.nz/

It's a pretty expensive place to rent (compared to your income if you're working in hospitality type jobs), unless you're happy sharing a house/flat with a few others. Trade Me might also be a good place to look for rentals:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/

P

Aye, hope you have plenty of cash and I'd advise on getting there a wee bit before the season starts to get jobs, as it gets chocka with winter folk all looking for work at once. If you don't get any success then there's always Wanaka and surrounding areas to get to Cradrona Ski fields, which by all accounts tend to get better snow conditions anyway but not as busy as Queenstown. Both expensive though, enjoy and good luck.,

hi and welcome,
    maybe try frankton, i lived there for a while, then when the skiing season ended i moved into the town, it might be that little cheaper, but prob not by much. but it would be a that bit quicker to the remarkables, if thats where you would be heading most days! and might be worth picking up a cheap car, that way would be alot cheaper as you can drive up tp the remarkables yourself!!

have a great trip!!!

Thanks everyone, I think I'm just gonna have to try out looking at places when I get there. My friend and I are thinking a room share is prob the best bet as everything seems quite high priced for what we've got used to in the north island! But thanks for all the info :-)

Try the Lakes Weekly Bulletin, it's online too and has private rent/share ads if you're on a budget.

Good luck

Hello,

I lived in Queenstown for 11 months and worked at the skydiving shop, I lived in a house on Dublin street which was walking distance to town with 3 other people, we looked at one which was a bit further out and thought we could get bikes but ended up with one in town. We rented out our house from an estate agent so make sure you get references sorted before you go or have the contact details, or you can go in the email shops and look on the notice boards. You might find in May it will be really busy and you could struggle to find accommodation but look hard enough and you'll find somewhere also it will be more difficult to find a job, if you could go earlier I would we got there in early April. If you can't afford a car lots of people hitch a ride up to the mountain's.

If you fancy a bit of extra's work I signed up to an agency who found people for commercials as they often need people as loads of adverts are filmed there, I did one and got $150, but I only found out about it near the end of me stay.

I forgot to stay I also lived in a little cabin in the caravan site for a couple of months so it's worth checking those out as well.

Good Luck and Have a great time I loved it there!!

It's a very expensive place to live, that much I can tell you.