Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for the Wairarapa please

Martinborough is a must. We spent some time down there and loved the area. Be sure to get a bottle of Brody Estate Pinot Noir 2007 Our personal favorite of the local wines there.

You also might look into a day trip down to Cape Palister (sp?). It takes about an hour from Martinborough to get there but has a very cool lighthouse and the seals are all over the place on the rocks near the water.

Here are some pictures we took on our blog of the area:

http://howellsinnewzealand.blogspot....pa-region.html

If you are into tramping Mt Holdsworth is right in the area and has some good views.

http://howellsinnewzealand.blogspot....rth-tramp.html
    Last edited by TJH; 3rd April 2010 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJH View Post
    You also might look into a day trip down to Cape Palister (sp?). It takes about an hour from Martinborough to get there but has a very cool lighthouse and the seals are all over the place on the rocks near the water.
    Just to note that the last 5km are down a narrow gravel road.

Ian

Sounds like my drive at home, but thanks for the warning.

Martinborough is a must. We spent some time down there and loved the area. Be sure to get a bottle of Brody Estate Pinot Noir 2007 Our personal favorite of the local wines there.

Here are some pictures we took on our blog of the area:

http://howellsinnewzealand.blogspot....pa-region.html

If you are into tramping Mt Holdsworth is right in the area and has some good views.

http://howellsinnewzealand.blogspot....rth-tramp.html
    Oh no! You can do MUCH better than that!!

Benfield & Delamare is probably the best. Ata Rangi and Craggy Range are also very good.

I highly recommend Martinborough as a better alternative to Wellington with easy commuting!

We drove the entire road to Cape Palister in a tiny Mazda Demio with no issues last November. It was rough in a couple of places, but nothing serious - just take it slow. Keep your distance from the seals - they are not exactly people friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Mac View Post
    I highly recommend Martinborough as a better alternative to Wellington with easy commuting!
    Macca, are you moonlighting with the Professionals or Remax by chance??

Sam, for an all out 'makes you sick to the pit of your stomache, but the views are spectacular heading towards the Wairarapa' experience, I would have a jaunt over the Rimutakas.

Good suggestions from everyone else, sorry I can't think of any more.

Enjoy your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
    Macca, are you moonlighting with the Professionals or Remax by chance??

Sam, for an all out 'makes you sick to the pit of your stomache, but the views are spectacular heading towards the Wairarapa' experience, I would have a jaunt over the Rimutakas.

Good suggestions from everyone else, sorry I can't think of any more.

Enjoy your trip.
    Hi Arwen

No - I have far more integrity than that...!!

We drove the entire road to Cape Palister in a tiny Mazda Demio with no issues last November. It was rough in a couple of places, but nothing serious - just take it slow. Keep your distance from the seals - they are not exactly people friendly
    The seals are fine - they will hiss and spit if you get too close.

Best advice is don't get between them and the sea - then they can just move away if they feel threatened.

I've certainly photographed them as close as 6ft.

Certainly don't try and touch them though - or get too close to pups if there are any.

They smell fairly bad so you probably won't want to get too close in any case!

I would definitley second the dinner at Tirohana estate, they have a great set menu, and fantastic service. I loved wine tasting in Martinborough, my favourites were probably Haythornthwaite (lovely Gewurztraminer) and Te Kairanga, they have a beautiful garden where you can enjoy a glass of wine and some cheese.

I have booked a dinner at Tirohana Estate. Thanks so much for this recommendation - their Autumn menu looks yum.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast