Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for the Wairarapa please

Quote Originally Posted by jeffanar View Post
    I would definitley second the dinner at Tirohana estate, they have a great set menu, and fantastic service. I loved wine tasting in Martinborough, my favourites were probably Haythornthwaite (lovely Gewurztraminer) and Te Kairanga, they have a beautiful garden where you can enjoy a glass of wine and some cheese.
    I second that - we go to Martinborough a couple times a year & tasted at Haythornthwaite last time. We now call it "that winery with the beautiful Gewurtzes''. Lovely.

Another winery close to Haythornthwaite is Vynfields - their wine is decent (maybe not spectacular), but we really enjoyed lunch in their beautiful garden - their fresh bread/homemade soup was soooo good. Best bread I have had in ages.

You'll have a wonderful time; it's so pretty and relaxing but there's good hiking, too if you're feeling more energetic.

I'm back, and I had such a lovely time. The weather was perfect. We stayed in the most wonderful bach - here is the link
    http://www.bookabach.co.nz/holiday_h...fm?bachId=3098
    It was so welcoming and full of thoughtful touches like chilled wine waiting for us on the table, the stove was lit and there was 70s soft rock playing on the stereo (ok, I could have lived without ELO greeting me). The only downside was it was not that close to anywhere we wanted to go. So lots of driving.

The first day we had croissants at the French Baker in Greytown (drool), then did some shopping there. Then we went to Martinborough and did some shopping there, J was looking like a dejected puppy by this stage so we drove on to Cape Palliser and climbed the lighthouse, collected paua shells and smelled the seals. In fact we could still smell them 2 days later, the smell kind of stays with you.

The we went back to Martinborough and went to the lovely cinema (The Circus) and saw Boy, it was ace and I cried a bit. Then we had dinner at Tirohana Estate and it was really lovely, with excellent service. Great.

Day 2 we had croissants again (making up for lost time) then went over to Castlepoint, where J made me climb a very steep and scary cliff. But the views were great. It was too far to drive to Martinborough again, so we tried a dodgy looking back street Thai in Masterton, and it was ace. The Thai Masterchef. J liked his Tom Yum more than any other food we had eaten all holiday.

Day 3, drove home, it was a very long way. The kids are due home any minute now. Here are some photos.

Me and some croissants ( I don't know why they had to put them on so many plates, makes me look greedy)

Cape Palliser Lighthouse

Baby seal

and his scary mother
    Last edited by Sam B; 12th April 2010 at 10:07 PM.

Top of steep cliff, Castlepoint

WOW glad you had a good time sounds great-how long have I to wait till I get to do this ?

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    I second that - we go to Martinborough a couple times a year & tasted at Haythornthwaite last time. We now call it "that winery with the beautiful Gewurtzes''. Lovely.

Another winery close to Haythornthwaite is Vynfields - their wine is decent (maybe not spectacular), but we really enjoyed lunch in their beautiful garden - their fresh bread/homemade soup was soooo good. Best bread I have had in ages.

You'll have a wonderful time; it's so pretty and relaxing but there's good hiking, too if you're feeling more energetic.
    Martinborough is so nice we go there 365 times a year...!!

Great photos, SamB..., I especially liked the one with the croissants!

Glad you had a wonderful time Sam.

Lovely photo's. You have inspired me to stop off at the French Baker's in Greytown for a croissant or two when the dreaded school run starts again next week.

Castlepoint is a great place. Nice photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
    Glad you had a wonderful time Sam.

Lovely photo's. You have inspired me to stop off at the French Baker's in Greytown for a croissant or two when the dreaded school run starts again next week.
    Bang goes the diet, Arwen!

No low fat options in there, you may be sure! Best croissant outside France though. At least in the Southern hemisphere.

I actually had very good ones in Laos - bizarre to be eating them in the steamy jungle, but very good nevertheless. A hangover from French colonial days.

If I had to drive through Greytown every day, I would be the size of a house.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast