Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for the Wairarapa please

Default Suggestions for the Wairarapa please

I have a 4 night bach holiday booked in some bush up in the hills near Masterton next week, and the best thing is it is our first CHILD-FREE holiday since we arrived in NZ over 3 years ago. (My Dad is taking the kids to Christchurch).

Please can those of you who know the area suggest wonderful things for us to do. We like food, nature, walks, shops, culture (ha!). I heard a rumour that somewhere in the Wairarapa there is a place that sells really good croissants, like proper French ones. And where's the best coffee?

Cheers

Default SamB

I have no ideas on best places in Wairarapa but Im dead jealous. Im working right thru Easter.
    Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Sam B View Post
    Please can those of you who know the area suggest wonderful things for us to do. We like food, nature, walks, shops, culture (ha!). I heard a rumour that somewhere in the Wairarapa there is a place that sells really good croissants, like proper French ones. And where's the best coffee?

Cheers
    For the croissants, you are probably talking about the bakery in Greytown called The French Baker.

We like the 10 o'clock cookie in Masterton for some nice cakes.

Pak N' Save in Masterton has a large British Food section.

Paua world in Carterton is worth a visit or at least that is what my OH thinks

Ian

Also if you want a bit of a drive and beaches, then well worth visiting Riversdale beach and Castlepoint.

Ian

After you're done walking through downtown Masterton, a really nice walk is the one through Queen Elizabeth Park, along the river, out to Henley Lake. Takes about a half hour or 45 minutes.

Sam, the Pukaha Mt Bruce Wildlife centre was what I was telling you about (or was in my dreams!)- we went there with the school and it was quite neat but you'd probably end up wishing you had your kids with you as they'd love it.

I have croissant envy!

Thanks everyone, and keep the suggestions coming. We are hoping for a posh meal out somewhere, and a trip to a cinema to see 'Boy'. I think I will pass on Pak n Save even with British food haha.

Thanks everyone, and keep the suggestions coming. We are hoping for a posh meal out somewhere, and a trip to a cinema to see 'Boy'. I think I will pass on Pak n Save even with British food haha.
    The boutique cinema in Martinborough is lovely. I'm sure that's the place where they have an intermission where they bring your drinks order in to you.

I have a 4 night bach holiday booked in some bush up in the hills near Masterton next week, and the best thing is it is our first CHILD-FREE holiday since we arrived in NZ over 3 years ago. (My Dad is taking the kids to Christchurch).

Cheers
    Dinner at Tirohana Estate in Martinborough is a real treat. Toby is a Pom and the environment and service reflect that.

French Baker for anything French - the quiche is to die for and the croissants, pain au chocolat etc the best in the southern hemisphere (being as how Moise is French and all...)

The Gladstone Inn (in Gladstone...) is a good pub lunch and the Tin Hut between Featherston and Greytown is not bad either.

'Farmers Market' in Masterton on Saturday mornings - but don't go with too high expectations.

Circus Cinema in Martinborough.

The Thai restaurant Siam Kitchen in Martinborough is cheap, kitsch and excellent.

Wine tasting in Martinborough.

All that - and only an hour by regular train from Wellington!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast