Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: finding a job in NZ

Default finding a job in NZ

Hello

We are looking for a job in NZ for al wile now. My husband is a network engeneer whit an extra CCNP certificate. We get mixed signals.

Some recruiters say it is not possible to get a job in NZ when you are not in the country. Some say they will be in touch, but you don't hear anything from them. He was shortlisted 1 month ago, but we haven't heard anything since. We can't contact them ourselfs.
    Some rectruiters say it is possible. We have to forward our CV, but then the company doesn't want anyone from overseas. We heve been to an immigration expo and those people gave us hope ans said that we must keep trying and that we will find a job. We want to believe that, but it is getting difficult to stay positive.
    We read successtorys, so it is out there!
    My questions: Are there recruiters you can hire to find a job for you and do you need to pay them if they don't find a job? Are there other ways to find a job? We look on SEEK, but there are a lot of New Zealand citizens who want the same jobs I think. Are there regions where there are more skilled migrants wanted?

Thanks

HI - I'm/we are in a similar boat as you.

I kind of understand the rule (catch 22 situation) where NZ employers will not take non NZ empolyees on because they have to prove no-one else in NZ is capable of doing that job. Unless i have that bit wrong?

I can also understand others perspective that the time & effort for NZ employers would have to put in to recruit people outside NZ outweighs the benefit. (i.e - employees not really comitted to moving, not understanding the immigration process, time wasters etc).

Now, I understand that only a select few employers are able to recruit employees outside NZ and this list is publically known.But does this 'catch 22' rule still apply?

I read with envy lots of people who have found work before/during the immigration process.

I too would be intrested to hear anyone's stories

Hi

I understand the employers, but there must be regions where there is a shortage of IT people where they would hire someone from overseas? There is a shortage list for jobs and my husbands job is on it, so you think it would be possible.
    Anyone out there who knows any regions with a shortage of skilled IT people?

Thanks!

Hello..I was talking to you to a IT recruiter today...She informed me that under current job market situation employers do not want to hire people from overseas..as they know they have many local IT people looking for jobs & they are also readily available for onsite interviews !

No offense intended to you Karolineke, this is just an observation, but it seems weird that anything to do with IT is on the skills shortage list because almost everyone on this forum lists their occupation as IT-related!
    Also, the IT sector must be the biggest employer in the world, so I dont know why there is a shortage in NZ.
    It gives people false hope that they will definitley find a job just because their occupation is in the list.
    Maybe the list should be reviewed.

I'm not in IT, but my gut feel on recruiters is that they are interested in getting you in their database, but will not get interested in doing much for you until you are on-site (or at least have work permit in hand) so can move at the drop of a hat.

After all, they are engaged for current openings, not for jobs coming on line in a matter of months.

Still, it makes sense to get on their radar screen for later discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by K&R View Post
    ... it seems weird that anything to do with IT is on the skills shortage list because almost everyone on this forum lists their occupation as IT-related!

... I dont know why there is a shortage in NZ.

It gives people false hope that they will definitley find a job just because their occupation is in the list.

Maybe the list should be reviewed.
    Great points! I've been wondering about this as well. My field (creative services) is listed in the Needed skills/Long-term shortage section, yet I've been reading about the difficulties people are encountering finding a position.

Where I was initially hopeful in thinking I'd found a perfect match, now I am proceeding with more uncertainty.

Hi

Thanks for all the answers. We have less and less hope of getting a job after reading this. If it is reality, than we have to accept it. Maybe times will get better?

How long have you guys been at it?

Don't give up yet! Keep throwing around out there, maybe something will stick! You guys know you're worth it, and NZ is certainly worth the effort. When it's meant to be it'll happen!

Maybe you just haven't found the right recruiting agency yet.

Hi Karolineke

I go with DonDeLaVega, don't give up yet if this is what you really want, you might not have tried everything. Just keep looking and make sure NZ employers know you are out there somewhere.

I still think being in the country gives you a slight advantage but as you said yourself, there are successtories so it is possible to obtain a job from overseas.

I found networking and meeting people overhere extremely useful and my job would never have happened if I was in Antwerp. I must say, my personality can be a bit frightening for some as I literally speak to everybody I come across and ask some very direct questions as well like : "Hi, don't you have a job for me?"

But as we say back home : "De wereld is aan de durvers, een nee heb je en een ja kan je krijgen"

Cheers
    Kath

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast