Thread: Auckland hotel with transfers, late check in

Default Auckland hotel with transfers, late check in

Hi,

I have searched back through the forum and found some threads, but they are either very old or don't answer my question. I am sorry to start yet another hotel recommendations thread..

We intend to fly into Auckland on the 24th for a 2 week reconnaissance. My lady friend has an illness so we can only fit 2 places in. After the helpful information here we have decided on coromandel peninsula and nelson and surrounds.

We will arrive late-ish. ANZ had by far the friendliest times. We will stay in Auckland for probably 2 nights so she can recover, driving out on day 2 if you like. We would like to book a hotel or similar with airport transfers and late check in. The other issue is it needs to be quiet, so not too near the airport or main roads, because E will be sleeping the whole time. I will spend day one getting the hire car and sorting stuff so proximity to touristy stuff etc doesn't matter. SWMBO likes a good hard mattress.

Any thoughts on good hotels that fit this description would be most appreciated.

Also interested in opinions on accommodation around the CP and Nelson/Tasmin/Marlborough areas. I suppose while I'm at it any opinions on hire car companies I'll be after a golf/corolla/impreza size car most likely.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

Most major Auckland Hotels, which I have researched/reviewed, tend to be located in or adjacent to auckland City - i.e. near busy roads and people based activities, such as beaches (Auckland waterfront/North shore), central shopping, entertainment (e.g. CBD hotels) and the Auckland Viaduct harbour. I think the smaller single unit Motels may be more suitable, and their are many around South Auckland - but unfortunately tend to be in the flight path of International air travel, and many are near busy or semi-busy suburban roads.

I think a motel around Manukau City (specifically Papatoetoe central), such as Quality Inn Hotel (but backs on to a popular kids play park). Also Manukau Motor Lodge, and both are about a 10 - 20 min drive to the Airport and Downtown Auckland. Also close to a major Golf Course (The Grange) and Middlemore Hospital, and Botany Downs shopping centre, several medical centres (East Tamaki Health care subsidiaries), shops, fruit vendors, banks and Manukau shopping centre and business district, car rentals, and more.

Thank you very much. That's helpful.

In Nelson we enjoyed our stay at the Warwick House, http://www.warwickhouse.co.nz/

While touring the country, we found the better B&B's excellent choice for stays - nice, comfortable, plenty of local advise. In bigger cities the serviced apartments (Quest & co) are also a nice alternative, the prices on wotif.com can be pretty low.

The trip to the coromandel isn't that far at all, a couple of hours if you take the tourist coastal route, but you may want to consider if it's feasible to get there on arrival +12 hours. So arrive late, get a hotel near the airport for one night with a late checkout and then get to the Coromandel sooner where it will be much easier to get the peace / tranquility that you're after. Clearly that may not be feasible for medical reasons so I'll leave it at that for your consideration. I hope you both have lovely time,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    The trip to the coromandel isn't that far at all, a couple of hours if you take the tourist coastal route, but you may want to consider if it's feasible to get there on arrival +12 hours. So arrive late, get a hotel near the airport for one night with a late checkout and then get to the Coromandel sooner where it will be much easier to get the peace / tranquility that you're after. Clearly that may not be feasible for medical reasons so I'll leave it at that for your consideration. I hope you both have lovely time,

Duncan
    we have booked 3 nights at the Coromandel (thanks Duncan!) on arrival in Auckland, just for that reason. a bit or relaxing and recuperation. weve got reasonable rates at kaeppeli's B&B overlooking the bay at Kuaotunu. the hotel sounds fab, with good home cooking, a bit of a farm, comfy rooms with great views, and the owners have been so friendly and accomodating so far. we'll drive straight from the Airport, about 2.5 hours we think, which will be a bit of a slog, but we're hoping an adrenalin burst on arrival will serve us well!

We picked up the campervan and drove the coastal route to HeiHei straight after landing. As you say, a bit tiring after the flights from London, but not impossible, and it helps to get settled.

I hope you enjoy the Coromandel, and thanks need to be escalated back to Ally Bally Bee who told me about it

Again thank you all for the helpful comments.

Remember we are Australian. A lot of people here commute 2 hours each way to work every day. "that's not a drive, THIS is a drive!"

But this is meant to be a holiday. I'll talk to the boss about pressing on to the peninsula, but picking up the hire car on sunday (we're probably going with omega, a subaru wagon) will be simpler, and it presents the opportunity to drop in on a friend in Auckland for a chat on Sunday morning.