Thread: Bargains in Wellington

Default Bargains in Wellington

Hi again,was just wondering if the guys/gals in Wellington could recommend the best places to buy white goods,lounge,chairs and tables and laptops. Thanks again!

This depends on how much your going to buy BUT there's a place called Cherrytree, a few kiwis told me about it & after much thouht we joined, there is a bit of a hefty joining fee & a smaller annual fee BUT this can be made back by the huge savings, I'm sure e have got ours back & we haven't bought that much but saved lots for instance a duvet set with matching cushions for a childs bedroom cost me 1/2 the price of the retail shops & a coffee machine which was around $400 cheaper, they sell all sorts of stuff too, you would have to live near a showroom though, the website is www.cherrytree.co.nz you do sign a pledge that you don't disclose prices or try to get even cheaper from the shops. I think you pay cost plus 11% plus sometimes but not always freight.
    If anyone joins can you mention my name

Just seen you'll be in Wellington, they have a showroom in the gorge, the one I pronounce Naranga :-)

If you don't feel like joining there if you're patient, just about everything in Briscoes will go on sale for 50% off eventually. All you have to do is wait and watch for the sales.

For our white goods (fridge & washing machine), we bought some ex-rental from a recommendation (actually a neighbour of OH Aunt & Uncle....!). Really cheap and they're absolutely fine so far (6 months).

Harvey Norman in Porirua will give you 10-20% off if you ask nicely and pay with cash.

Agreed with some of the above. Never ever pay retail! Most sales will give you 30% off, with sometimes 60% or more (Briscoes and Kathmandu being classic examples). You should get comfortable with haggling too, and walk away if you don't get the deal you want. It's hard to get decent discounts on Fisher & Paykel - they have lock-ins with shops. No experience with Cherry Tree, but it would seem to make sense if you're starting from scratch. There's an article on Consumer about them - costs $1495 to join and $195 a year thereafter. Their guess is that if you spend $4000 you'll start to be in the money.
    Last edited by Chiba; 9th April 2010 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiba View Post
    Agreed with some of the above. Never ever pay retail! Most sales will give you 30% off, with sometimes 60% or more (Briscoes and Kathmandu being classic examples). You should get comfortable with haggling too, and walk away if you don't get the deal you want. It's hard to get decent discounts on Fisher & Paykel - they have lock-ins with shops. No experience with Cherry Tree, but it would seem to make sense if you're starting from scratch. There's an article on Consumer about them - costs $1495 to join and $195 a year thereafter. Their guess is that if you spend $4000 you'll start to be in the money.
    If you join on one of their invite days then you pay $1195 for the 1st year. I think once we replace our failing fride/freeer & get a new kids bed we will be back in the money again

Thanks everyone,very helpful