Thread: Medicals and Chances of Being Turned - Married to a Kiwi

Default Medicals and Chances of Being Turned - Married to a Kiwi

Can anyone advise how likely I am to be turned down if they find something on my medical. I have been married to a Kiwi for 14 years living in the UK. Is there really any chance they would say no?

Don't think I have any problems, but you never know. Any idea of things that could prevent me going?

Hello and welcome.

Here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/index.htm is a link to the list of medical conditions considered a 'no', but as the wife of a returning Kiwi, judging by other people's stories, you have official sympathy on your side, and EVEN IF you had something as serious, you would have a strong chance for a medical waiver.

Well yes they will refuse on medical grounds if you have something that needs more than $25k in the next 4 years. But then if you are unaware of any such condition then three things.

1) It's highly unlikely you have such a condition without knowing it.
    2) If your medical does find something then at least you've found out sooner and can get it treated in the UK sooner, and depending on what it is then be clear and then go anyway, or of course you may want to stay in the UK if this is the case.
    3) You cna always appeal and may get a medical waiver where they decide that even though you don't meet the health requirements thuy'll have you anyway.

Basically, don't worry about it. Only be worred if something crops up in the medical.

Thanks guys - that's my only real worry - especially when you hear other people's stories.

Feeling a bit more confident now. Cheers!

But I didn't post a thread on 'Medicals happened, nothing of interest'. Nor did all the oteh rmajority of people where it went fine. Remember that people tend to post when some problem occurs, not the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    But I didn't post a thread on 'Medicals happened, nothing of interest'. Nor did all the oteh rmajority of people where it went fine. Remember that people tend to post when some problem occurs, not the other way.
    I know - just been given horror stories by those with problems. Also my SIL tried to scare the pants off me too!

April, I am in the position you're asking about - I'm married to a Kiwi, have a baby Kiwi, and a lovely medical history that includes thyroid cancer

If you want you can read my 'Medicals happened, plenty of interest' thread (link in my signature, below), but the basic story is that NZIS are very definitely analysing the possible cost I will impose on the NZ health system. My oncologist is adamant that I'm cured, so hopefully the MA will eventually come to the same conclusion, but we're still waiting for the final decision.

If the MA does decide I'm too expensive, I will try the medical waiver route. This would allow me to ask the residence review board to consider the fact that without giving me a visa my husband (who could probably prove skills/experience for 2 occupations on the long-term shortage list) wouldn't return to NZ, nor would my daughter (of unknown potential) ever live there.

Unlike the MA that review board gets to look at the big picture, not just the medical, and you get the impression that they will often come down in favour of the returning Kiwi family (unless the illness is extremely severe).

I hope this helps but as Duncan said, chances are that if you have a nasty illness you would already know about it.

Good luck!

I was in the same boat, numerous MA rejections (they will reject you based on medical ground even if you are married to a kiwi), but I applied for the medical waiver and it was approved. The waiver process looks kindly (unless something really bad) on married kiwis bringing their family home.

Thanks that's really helpful - fingers crossed for the medical next week now!