Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Salaries really significantly lower in NZ

Default Are Salaries really significantly lower in NZ

I have been reading through the threads, and the difference in salaries in NZ compared to UK and other countries is concerning me slightly, with reference to whether it is financially viable to make the the biggest decision of our lives and move to the other side of the world!!

Are the salaries that low???

My partner who is currently a Senior Midwife with 11 years experience is currently on approx £35000 pa (NZ$74200), and my self being a Warehouse shift manager with 13 years experience, earning Approx £32000 pa (NZ$67840).

Does anyone know how much of a drop we are likely to take coming to New Zealand with these professions.

All help would be mostly appreciated, I know money isn't the root cause to go but I would like to know i can live a decent life.

You're using today's exchange rate there for that comparison. But 2 years ago, then £35k would be nearly NZD$100k. So which would be right?

But then my standard working hours in NZ are longer than in the Uk, so should that be factored in, or as I do a lot more than I technically get paid for then does that matter?

Are you taking UK 'city' weighted salaries, or rural areas, as there's a difference even in the UK between Manchester / Birmingham centre and Cumbria for example.

What I'm trying to say is that there's no simple answer to this. Cost of living is different, some things seem higher, others lower. But life there is different as well.

Default Fletchaman

There is a difference in the pay in NZ when compared directly to the UK...however I can explain how it work out better for some.
    In the UK I was on roughly the same as your wife in mental health and just managed to live as a single parent. In NZ Im working better hours, have a far better quality of life and have managed to support myself and my son far easier than ever in the UK.
    Little things such as we now have two cars - well 3 if you count the one in the garage who is poorly , live in a nice house that is neither cold or damp (it is possible), eat far better than I ever did in the UK as I now cook (thats only because I was unable to find pizza stores that work night shifts and clearly cant nip to Tescos at 3am) and even manage to save which on NHS wages was unheard of.
    The pay for nurses here is actually high compared to the basic NZ wage,
    Others may say different hence I am only talking for myself but now happily have money at the end of the month and not the other way round.

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for your input our salaries are the same wherever we choose to work ( apart from london obviously which is more with london allowance) saying that that i now work in Wigan on current salary, but did work in Kendal for a bigger salary, saying that i have always worked for Blue chip companies so the wages denote that.

With your comment on The exchange rate, I presume the cost of living index has not dropped as significantly as the rate, so house prices are still near as damn it, the same as 2 years ago, as well as food etc??

I suppose i really need to look deep into the costings over there I just don't want to be having to come back 2 years down the line with my tail between my legs purely because i cannot survive, and hey you never know after the General Election the NZ$ may rise to its old more favourable value

Thanks Moses,

You have given me some good info.

I never wanted to move over there and have 3 holidays a year and new cars, as i don't get that here lol, i just want to be comfortable, i know OH will be ok in finding employment, but i on the other hand may struggle in my profession, as its not a needed skill over there, so may spend a while on the one wage, but you have given me hope that it can be done so thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletchaman View Post
    I suppose i really need to look deep into the costings over there I just don't want to be having to come back 2 years down the line with my tail between my legs purely because i cannot survive, and hey you never know after the General Election the NZ$ may rise to its old more favourable value
    And that's the crux of it. If you're earning and spending over there, then the UK:NZ exchange rate is of little interest. It's only when you move funds accross it matters.

So in your example then accept a job now on $70nzd and you'd call that a pay rise, but get 30% increase after a year, and that's $91k, but if the NZ:UK exchange rate is back at 3:1 then your then effectively only earning £30k.

And of course everyone is different, so some people's lifestyle will mean that their income goes further in NZ, others will feel the pinch more due to their lifestyle spending proportionately more on things that are more expensive over there.

And of course everyone is different, so some people's lifestyle will mean that their income goes further in NZ, others will feel the pinch more due to their lifestyle spending proportionately more on things that are more expensive over there.[/QUOTE]

So Curb the OH's spending and sorted

I think I need to stop looking at UK NZ$ comparison because if the rate is low as it is now the salaries look ok but the house prices look higher, but should the rate increase to 3:1 say, then the wages look bad but the house price comparison is cheaper rought with the smooth.

I suppose i just see all these posts of people struggling on wages and how so much less they are on than their salaries they left in the UK the panic button starts glowing

Quote Originally Posted by Fletchaman View Post
    So Curb the OH's spending and sorted

Ooooooh. Im sure I would not try that with any nurse. Good luck.

Lol I know I gotta stay nice she is getting withdrawal symptons already at the thought of never shopping at PRIMARNI Aka PRIMARK again

Hi Fletchaman,

I'm a biomedical scientist working in the NHS, and I have checked with the professional registration body for my profession in NZ to see what the salary was, and it was exactly the same as in the UK.

I imagine it will be the same for a midwife. I think health care job salaries are pretty universal cus you are doing the same job wherever you go, so they pay you accordingly for you qualifications and expertise.

Have a look on the internet, just type in somet like 'what is the salary for a midwife in NZ' and you will find something.

I can't comment on your job because I imagine that all salaries in private industry are decided by the particular employer.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast