Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tauranga - why we would want to live in tauranga or why we should not

On the subject of rentals we would recommend "Be home" on Cameron Road an independent rental shop. Compared to the chains ( professionals, ray white etc and not forgetting Eves who were particularly hopeless) they were brilliant and sorted us out really professionally and well... just brill.
    Tell you what the worst thing about Tauranga is though? Learning how to bloody pronounce it - everyone says it diiferently - the radio dj's, the weather presenters, the locals, the not locals, me everytime I say it!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stu & amanda View Post
    Tell you what the worst thing about Tauranga is though? Learning how to bloody pronounce it - everyone says it diiferently - the radio dj's, the weather presenters, the locals, the not locals, me everytime I say it!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL Same with Taupo. We have always called it 'Tarpo' & its really difficult now to say 'Toe Paw'

Toe-rong-a (but try to roll the r) is the correct pronounciation.

When I worked at the Bay of Plenty Times we had a session on tikanga (custom) from a top guy from the Ngaiterangi iwi. His big thing was pronounciation and te Reo Maori in general (it was Maori Lanaguage Week when we did this).

But most people still call it tow (as in towel) ronga (as in wrong-gar).

And most people still call Taupo Tow (as in towel) - po (as in the teletubbies). The correct pronounciation is toe-paw.

You think you have it bad? It's hilarious listening to Aussies try to prounce New Zealand place names, mind you, some of theirs would have me stumped.

I live in Ro-to-ru-a (the o is as in or and the rs should be rolled).

it all sounds v strange ha ha thanks all for the info keep it coming

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123