Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching opportunities in Auckland?

Smile Teaching opportunities in Auckland?

Hi folks

This is my first post. I am wondering if there are any teacher forumites in Auckland.

My wife and I currently teach at a private school in a regional centre in Australia (10th biggest city??). What is a bit unorthodox about us is that we are not born and bred aussies and this might be the reason why we've started to see a "glass ceiling". Yes, of course we live in a post-racial Australia and we indeed appreciate it, but we all know that off the book things may work differently in teaching. This is particularly so in our town.

I am 29 and hitting top of my salary scale next year as a full-time secondary languages teacher. Three decades later I will still be here and what kids will have retained beyond English will still only be bonjour and numbers 1-10. My wife is a primary teacher but has no luck other than relief.

We've both served in a remote school for two years so we won't consider moving interstate and starting again from the bottom of the food chain. Hence the quick thought - Might Auckland be a bit more receptive to multicultural teachers? We understand kids there will be similarly unrespectful, reluctant to learn, and there will be little thanks from parents. We won't do salary conversions or will never move. To us job satisfaction is as important, especially in terms of having a chance to teach mainstream classrooms as two ethnic teachers (I intend to retrain as a primary teacher).

Would love to hear your stories and thoughts.

Cheers
    Last edited by InsideOut; 9th April 2010 at 11:15 PM.

Hello and welcome. I don't know anything about teaching in NZ but there are people here that will help you for sure

Hello and welcome. We have several teachers on the forum - I'm sure they'll be along to help soon.

There are many (most!) parts of Auckland that are extremely multi cultural. The school I taught at in Sandringham (Auckland) had a wide range of ethnicities on their teaching staff, so I don't see it as being at all a disadvantage. If you have strong teaching experience and skills, and current NZ teacher registration you should be able to find something.

Good luck!
    Amy.

Thanks for your welcomes Daniel and JandM!

Amy, is there a shortage of primary teachers in the greater Auckland area? In NZ public system, are graduate teachers expected to serve a few years in a rural school before becoming more competitive and/or eligible for a transfer back to cities (as in most OZ states)? I do hope my overseas teaching experience is recognised in NZ even if it is inter-sectoral.

Many thanks!

It has been 3 years since we were in NZ (and I was teaching there) and at that time there were plenty of jobs. It seems the slow down in the economy has had an impact on that though, and the 'glory days' are somewhat over. I still maintain that an experienced, registered teacher in Auckland should find something, though. There is no requirement to work rural - mostly schools are looking for people with relevant experience and training. Schools advertise positions and applicants apply to the school directly. Check out www.edgazette.govt.nz for the latest advertised positions (a surprising number given the school year has barely started...)

Your Aussie teaching experience should be recognized when you apply for a salary assessment in NZ- they ask for the details of your teaching experience etc on the form.

Amy.
    Last edited by auskiwi; 10th April 2010 at 04:23 PM.

And get straight onto the NZ Teaching Council - there is a requirement for registration, and I believe being registered (or not) can impact on the salary you receive when you start. http://www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz/

Here's a good link to the current state of employment for teachers - looks like 2012 will be a good year!

http://www.careers.govt.nz/default.a...103&id1=J35430

Amy.

Quote Originally Posted by auskiwi View Post
    Here's a good link to the current state of employment for teachers - looks like 2012 will be a good year!

http://www.careers.govt.nz/default.a...103&id1=J35430

Amy.
    That's interesting, thanks.
    I am still thinking about the move, and 2012 would be great for us as I'll have a couple of years experience by then which might help my chances of finding employment.

Helen

Interesting article and gives me hope for OH; he's on the grad course and there's 70 of them, all of whom will be looking for local jobs round here. Plus the many undergrad. course students and most schools don't seem to have teachers retiring or moving which speaks well for the schools but doesn't give openings to new staff!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast